Help Fondant Cracked! Please Help !!

Decorating By Shyanne_Mommy Updated 4 Mar 2011 , 5:38pm by sugardugar

Shyanne_Mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shyanne_Mommy Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 2:32pm
post #1 of 7

I have a wedding cake due tomorrow and I put the 2 layer on top of the bottom layer last night (which has plenty of support inside the cake) and the fondant cracked on parts of the bottom layer!!

I don't know what to do!! Please help!

Should I take off the second layer and refondant the bottom layer? I still have to add one more layer.

THANKS

6 replies
cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 2:36pm
post #2 of 7

Are your supports even? Yes, take the 2nd cake off the other one until you can figure out what's going on.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 2:40pm
post #3 of 7

It sounds like your dowels were cut too short and the weight of the upper tier crushed the fondant.

I would definitely take the upper tier off and replace the dowels with the proper size. If you don't do that, things will only get worse.

After that, I would only redo the fondant if the cracks are really bad and can't be covered with flowers or decorations, or, if they cannot be neatly spackled. You can spackle with royal icing tinted the same color or with fondant mixed with water until it can be piped through a small round tip.

Shyanne_Mommy Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 2:48pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks so much for your suggestions... I have never done a tiered fondant covered cake so I knew I could count on you guys to help me out. Thankfully I have tonight and 1/2 day tomorrow to fix it!!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 3:39pm
post #5 of 7

Remember... the dowels are to be cut even with the top of the FONDANT.

Good luck! icon_smile.gif

Shyanne_Mommy Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 3:47pm
post #6 of 7

Yes mama!! I got my mother-in-law getting more dowels since I am morning job and I will be redoing them when I get home.

Thanks again!

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 5:38pm
post #7 of 7

One thing to keep in mind, though it has been said, it you need to ensure you dowel to level with the fondant and not the cake! Fondant is pretty thick, as well as its crumb coat.

I feel like a TINY bit higher is better than under... and just put enough buttercream to even it up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%