Purple Regal Cake

Decorating By noorya Updated 4 Mar 2011 , 4:54pm by MissLisa

noorya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noorya Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 12:43pm
post #1 of 9

Hey cakelovers,

I have a couple of questions on making this specific cake for a wedding

http://www.superfinebakery.com/images/gallery/PurpleRegalCake.jpg

How do I make the golden stencil on the sides of the cake? I was thinking to print the picture of the stencil out and then make a pattern with a toothpick and then fill the pattern with royal icing. Now i have never used royal icing thus can i use any readymade royal icing? If yes then which brand (is the wilton decorating icing an option?) Is there any other ways of making a stencil pattern on the cake?

Which leaf cutter should be used for the leaves shown on the picture?

How can i get the same goldish effect on the stencil pattern and the leaves? Can i use the PME lustre spray gold? and what about the purple colour? Which colours should be mixed to get the same eggplant effect?

Now this cake has styrofoam separators. How do i know which size ss to use between my cakes?

i am sorry for all the questions but just worried bout making this cake. This week I can practice and then next week i am goin go to make the cakes. Thus want as much information as possible icon_smile.gif

noori

8 replies
noorya Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 1:06pm
post #2 of 9

uhm anyone? icon_redface.gif

noorya Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 2:43pm
post #3 of 9

icon_cry.gif

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 2:53pm
post #4 of 9

my guess is they used a stencil with royal icing or BC. Then let it dry & painted gold luster dust with a splash of vodka to get the gold sheen.

Frecklysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frecklysmom Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 9

That looks like a mold I have. It is made by chef rubber.

MissLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLisa Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 2:58pm
post #6 of 9

I don't think you will get the same effect with the stenciling if you draw it on with a toothpick, I think you really need to stencil it on. Check out Designer Stencil or Global Sugar Art (they carry them as well) and order the stencil.

Yes you would use Royal Icing for that. The brand won't matter much, for what you are doing, royal icing is royal icing.

Check out Chef Rubber for the leaf mold, they carry a lot of really ornate designs. Yes I would think you could use PME Lustre Spray, although I never have. I have an airbrush that I use when I need something that gold.

The size of your separators will be dependant on the size of your cake tiers.

Look at the Satin Ice website for a color chart for mixing colors.

Hope that helps some. Good luck and don't forget to post pictures when you are done!

genevieveyum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
genevieveyum Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 3:08pm
post #7 of 9

I think that the lack of answers may be because a lot of them can be answered by a little research in the cc archives- gold stenciling, achieving dark colors, size and separator options, etc.

Also, it's an absolutely stunning cake with many elements that will make it difficult if you're not a very experienced caker. For example- that isn't a color I'd ever try to mix myself- I'd buy a purple fondant and then doctor it to the right shade.

The gold work is stunning and I doubt that effect can be achieved with the spray- my guess is that it's hand-applied to the stencil and probably a good-quality gold. As for the specific cutter for the leaves, again, it looks like more than a simple cutter- probably a custom mold.

Looking at the original caker's site, she does a great deal of hand-painting and custom mold making. If you've got your heart set on this look, you may want to choose one aspect like the colors and general shape, rather than trying to recreate the exact cake.

This may not be the answer you wanted, but it's an honest one. Not knowing your cake skills, it's hard to advise you on recreating such a work of art.

noorya Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 4:47pm
post #8 of 9

thanks for the replies ladies and specially thanks for the honest answer. That is what I want to hear from you guys and that is what I need in order to become better at somethingicon_smile.gif

I will try to recreate it using a dummy this week and the tips on buy a readymade purple coloured fondant is a good idea. Perhaps i shall do that.

Bout the royal icing. What should i use here royal icing or buttercream? Will the effect be the same?

MissLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLisa Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 4:54pm
post #9 of 9

Royal Icing............If you plan to paint it gold as in the picture you will want it to be Royal Icing since that will dry hard and be MUCH easier to paint.

Hand-painting is never easy but trust me.........painting on buttercream with that kind of detail isn't something you want to do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%