$1.80 Too Much For These Cupcakes W/ Color Flow Tent?

Baking By laddybug Updated 4 Mar 2011 , 4:32am by FromScratchSF

laddybug Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 2:34am
post #1 of 9

Someone ordered 36 cupcakes and she wanted a circus tent on them.
I ended up making it with color flow. It took me forever and woke up w/ a sore neck the next day.

Price too much or too little?

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1959939

8 replies
Paperfishies Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 2:39am
post #2 of 9

Aww how cute!!

Honestly, I think they're priced too low. How much did material/ingredients cost?

I would have charged $3.00 per cupcake, since the decorations were so time consuming.

glow0369 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 2:41am
post #3 of 9

your instinct is right .... you didn't charge enough.

LindaF144a Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 2:52am
post #4 of 9

The cupcakes alone where I live would be 2.50 to 3.00. Then I would have charged a per hour charge for the tents too. I haven idea how long it took to do each tent, but I'm pretty sure your time is worth the pennies you were probably paid.

JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 3:10am
post #5 of 9

I charge more than $1.80 for a basic cupcake without filling! But I guess that doesn't matter... icon_lol.gif As long as you charged enough to cover your expenses and made the profit you needed to make, you charged the right amount. (But I think it wasn't enough. icon_biggrin.gif )

cakeandpartygirl Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 3:33am
post #6 of 9

Way too little!! Next time before you give someone a quote for an order make sure you know how much it is going to cost for your ingredients and figure out how much do you want to be paid per hour. I don't think that you want to work with a sore neck for a little bit of money.!!!!!

cakeandpartygirl Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 3:34am
post #7 of 9

Way too little!! Next time before you give someone a quote for an order make sure you know how much it is going to cost for your ingredients and figure out how much do you want to be paid per hour. I don't think that you want to work with a sore neck for a little bit of money.!!!!!

laddybug Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 3:43am
post #8 of 9

Thanks again everyone...
Luckily I haven't sent her a price yet. I only quoted her $1.25 for plain buttercream cupcakes. I told her it would be more for the tents and polka dots. That I'd have to see how much work they were first. I'm just worried to charge her too much, don't want scare her away since she's my first real customer you know. Maybe I'll tell her $70 for 36ct.

FromScratchSF Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 4:32am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by laddybug

Thanks again everyone...
Luckily I haven't sent her a price yet. I only quoted her $1.25 for plain buttercream cupcakes. I told her it would be more for the tents and polka dots. That I'd have to see how much work they were first. I'm just worried to charge her too much, don't want scare her away since she's my first real customer you know. Maybe I'll tell her $70 for 36ct.

Very valuable business advice...

If you do not value your time and product, nobody else will.

Since you are Japan (Konnichiha!) it's hard for us to help with pricing, but even though your instincts are to try not to "scare" the customer away, this will only hurt you in the long run.

Good luck!

Jen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%