So It Wasn't Me!!!

Decorating By buttercuppie Updated 4 Mar 2011 , 6:59pm by srkmilklady

buttercuppie Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 2:18am
post #1 of 21

I had a tasting last night and I couldn't put my finger on it but I was getting this weird vibe from the groom to be. It was almost as if I couldn't do anything right. At the beginning of the tasting his fiance said he could really care less about the cake and would be fine with Costco but she wanted something nice. We went over designs and they refused to give me a budget so I told them how much things were so they can have an idea. I gave them the option of having a smaller cake and then sheet cakes in the back to keep costs low...he said no. I told them to go with a rippled buttercream cake versus smooth buttercream b/c it's cheaper...he said no. Then (b/c I happened to be kinda generous that day), I gave them 5 flavors of cake to taste and he comlplained that the chocolate wasn't "chocolatey enough"...I basically told him you want ganache. She wanted to get 2 flavors of cake b/c not everyone likes carrot cake (which I agreed with her about) and he said he could care less what everyone liked as long as they both liked it b/c they were paying for it.

Needless to say I was glad when it was over.

I was kinda venting to my mom all morning about the tasting when I got a thank you email from their planner. This was the 2nd couple she sent to me(the first was great and are going with me for their cake). She basically thanked me for meeting with them and then asked me if I had a glass of BRANDY after the tasting...AHA! So it wasn't me...she's probably having a couple of issues with this groom too!

LOL... that made me feel alot better.

Seriously buddy...don't complain about the cost when you keep giving me criteria that drives it up...help me help you!

20 replies
Coral3 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 2:23am
post #2 of 21

Well...he sounds like a real prince. Somebody needs to tell that bride "Run! Run while you still can!!"

tracey1970 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 2:30am
post #3 of 21

What's the male equivalent of "bridezilla"?

Renaejrk Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 4:12am
post #4 of 21

"groomzilla" ;-P

Foxicakes Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 5:03am
post #5 of 21

Okay, this is just a shot in the dark here, but one thing that medical school did provide me with, was a good solid view into human behavior and psychology!! And, honestly, what he is doing is very typical behavior of a man that is being pressured into marriage. My guess is that HE doesn't WANT to get married and he has told her that, but she is nagging him and instead of being a MAN about it and telling her "no", he is doing as so many other men in that situation and making the entire planning process a horrible experience ...for everyone. These are the men that drag their feet during the entire process and then do one of two things: they wait until the last possible minute and call of the wedding (thus, leaving the girl "at the altar" so-to-speak) OR they go through with it and treat her like total and complete garbage, while most likely having affair after affair until SHE finally sees that low and behold that darn piece of paper meant more to the tree they had to kill to make it than it does to her beloved, and SHE finally bails. Hopefully they won't have any children to get hurt by that. Personally, I dont know which one I would be more disgusted with. Him or her!!
OR I could be TOTALLY off and he could just be a complete jerk to everyone BUT her!! Lord knows, I have been wrong before!! LOL!!

sweets4you Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 5:30am
post #6 of 21

For someone who could not care less if they get a cake from Costco, he sure said no a lot! icon_wink.gif

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 5:30am
post #7 of 21

I agree with Foxicakes. When I was reading the post I was expecting the end to say that the planner called and said that he had called off the wedding. That's just the vibe I got from your description of the situation.

Bluehue Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 5:40am
post #8 of 21

Wow - that was *very deep* Foxicakes - from cake tasting to having an affair to being a jerk to hopefully not having any children and then divorce.
And to think i *just* learnt medicine* whilst learning to become a Nurse...
icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif


i digress.....

Perhaps the chap just felt totally lost and didn't have a clue about what certain cakes taste like....and tried to bluff his way through thae tasting
Perhaps he just felt out of his depth and so resorted to trying to look important..........and clued up.
Perhaps he was just plain nervous....

I do agree with this however...
couldn't care less what everyone liked as long as they both liked it b/c they were paying for it.
After all, it is meant to be all about them on the day.


Bluehue

icer101 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 6:05am
post #9 of 21

Foxicakes, i think you little story was cute . Still laughing I think he is a total jerk to everyone. I don,t think he was nervous at all. And to say , he doesn,t care about anyone but them two is disgusting. Most brides and grooms wants to impress the guest, etc. . That is what i have encountered anyway.They usually want the cake to taste the best it can , so people will go away saying how wonderful their cake was.

Bluehue Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 6:37am
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

Foxicakes, i think you little story was cute . Still laughing I think he is a total jerk to everyone. I don,t think he was nervous at all. And to say , he doesn,t care about anyone but them two is disgusting. Most brides and grooms wants to impress the guest, etc. . That is what i have encountered anyway.They usually want the cake to taste the best it can , so people will go away saying how wonderful their cake was.




I have never known a bride and groom to know what cake every guest likes or prefers - so at the end o the day - of course it is their choice.
What flavour cake they choose doesn't determine whether it is a beautiful tasting cake.
Best cake i have ever eaten at a wedding was a ginger and honey cake -
Many guests turned their nose up at it - without even trying it.
BUT at the end of the day it was the cake the bride and groom loved and so thats what they had
.
I don't understand how that can be disgusting - or why icon_confused.gif

Lolll - if your wedding day isn't about you then what day is?


We had the cake we preferred - and if the guests didn't like that.... well i guess they went cakeless.....
No different to those people who say "i don't eat cake" - fine - leave it on your plate.

Bluehue.

buttercuppie Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 3:45pm
post #11 of 21

LOL...I got home at a crazy hour this morning and got a good laugh at the responses.

While I do agree that when it's your wedding day you should most definitely get what you want, I also believe that you should be considerate of your guests as well. If you want carrot...go for it but also have an alternative (if your baker allows 2 flavors) for those who may not like carrot.

I'm of the mindset that if I'm going to pay hundreds (to possibly over $1000) on cake I want to make sure that majority of it gets eaten...because then I'll be forced to go around the reception hall in my wedding dress counting uneaten pieces of cake going $ there, $$ there...and then spend half the night complaining about how much money was wasted because people didn't care for the cake flavor!

(and I've been there listening to my mother go on and on about how many people RSVPed to my brother's wedding and didn't show and how much money was just shot straight down the toilet...even though it was about 4 years ago, every now and then it still aggrevates her icon_lol.gif )

LindaF144a Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 3:56pm
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxicakes

Okay, this is just a shot in the dark here, but one thing that medical school did provide me with, was a good solid view into human behavior and psychology!! And, honestly, what he is doing is very typical behavior of a man that is being pressured into marriage. My guess is that HE doesn't WANT to get married and he has told her that, but she is nagging him and instead of being a MAN about it and telling her "no", he is doing as so many other men in that situation and making the entire planning process a horrible experience ...for everyone. These are the men that drag their feet during the entire process and then do one of two things: they wait until the last possible minute and call of the wedding (thus, leaving the girl "at the altar" so-to-speak) OR they go through with it and treat her like total and complete garbage, while most likely having affair after affair until SHE finally sees that low and behold that darn piece of paper meant more to the tree they had to kill to make it than it does to her beloved, and SHE finally bails. Hopefully they won't have any children to get hurt by that. Personally, I dont know which one I would be more disgusted with. Him or her!!
OR I could be TOTALLY off and he could just be a complete jerk to everyone BUT her!! Lord knows, I have been wrong before!! LOL!!




Ditto times 1,000.

That was my first impression reading about this.

mareg Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 4:12pm
post #13 of 21

Doesn't the bride see any red flags here?? Omg I'm no psychic here but they will have a rocky road ahead. Some girls just want to be married, who cares if he is a jerk. I know of a marriage like that it ended horribly like it started.

creations Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 4:13pm
post #14 of 21

Seriously buddy...don't complain about the cost when you keep giving me criteria that drives it up...help me help you! omg this so true of a line , I get customers all the time wanting a cake so they give me details and i explain the more u want on the cake the more money its going to be , so they continue and when i give the final price OH NO i cant do that its out of my budget lol. hahahh screw them NEXT client please , we all get those wonderful clients and some of those not so well clients but we take it as a lesson and move on to better things and being more wiser for the next one that comes around , I dont do costco prices on my cakes lol have a good one everyone

BCo Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 4:35pm
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxicakes

Okay, this is just a shot in the dark here, but one thing that medical school did provide me with, was a good solid view into human behavior and psychology!! And, honestly, what he is doing is very typical behavior of a man that is being pressured into marriage. My guess is that HE doesn't WANT to get married and he has told her that, but she is nagging him and instead of being a MAN about it and telling her "no", he is doing as so many other men in that situation and making the entire planning process a horrible experience ...for everyone. These are the men that drag their feet during the entire process and then do one of two things: they wait until the last possible minute and call of the wedding (thus, leaving the girl "at the altar" so-to-speak) OR they go through with it and treat her like total and complete garbage, while most likely having affair after affair until SHE finally sees that low and behold that darn piece of paper meant more to the tree they had to kill to make it than it does to her beloved, and SHE finally bails. Hopefully they won't have any children to get hurt by that. Personally, I dont know which one I would be more disgusted with. Him or her!!
OR I could be TOTALLY off and he could just be a complete jerk to everyone BUT her!! Lord knows, I have been wrong before!! LOL!!





LOL- OMG - that's exactly what went through my mind when I read it!! ha ha I bet you he's super controlling of her too! I'm sure she just went with whatever he said.

buttercuppie Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 4:42pm
post #16 of 21

Thinking about it, I would say I don't think she's the type that will just take stuff lying down...

...I just think that he was finding out more about the wedding details at the same time I was and I guess he said...well I'm going to have some input on this cake and went on from there...

...like I said it all made sense when the planner asked me if I had a good drink afterwards... icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 4:53pm
post #17 of 21

Some people are difficult to deal with. I think it is big leap from not wanting to have input, to making things difficult to he'll end up cheating on her or leave her at the alter.

We are awefully quick to judge people hearing only one side of the conversation.

madgeowens Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 5:16pm
post #18 of 21

I have to agree with Texas, thats quite a psyche workup after a cake testing lol. Maybe he was just in a pissy mood....who knows.....maybe thats his personality(gulp) ....but maybe they need too elope and nerves will get better

srkmilklady Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 6:19pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttercuppie

While I do agree that when it's your wedding day you should most definitely get what you want, I also believe that you should be considerate of your guests as well. If you want carrot...go for it but also have an alternative (if your baker allows 2 flavors) for those who may not like carrot.

I'm of the mindset that if I'm going to pay hundreds (to possibly over $1000) on cake I want to make sure that majority of it gets eaten...because then I'll be forced to go around the reception hall in my wedding dress counting uneaten pieces of cake going $ there, $$ there...and then spend half the night complaining about how much money was wasted because people didn't care for the cake flavor!




Totally agree here. Why would you serve something to guests that they wouldn't care to eat. It's like having a dinner party and serving lamb for your main course because you LOVE lamb all the while knowing that no one you invited eats lamb! Waste of money and time.

If you are able to have 2 or more flavors for your cake, I would guess that most of it would be eaten and I believe that other than the traditional cake cutting, that in general is a traditional part of the day, having food that is enjoyable to most of your guests should also be a big part of it which includes the cake!

JMHO as a "mother of the bride" many moons ago... icon_wink.gif

Chasey Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 6:53pm
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by srkmilklady


Totally agree here. Why would you serve something to guests that they wouldn't care to eat. It's like having a dinner party and serving lamb for your main course because you LOVE lamb all the while knowing that no one you invited eats lamb! Waste of money and time.




And I agree with you! Yes, it's the bride and groom's choice...but why not make that be about the top tier and the rest of the cake about the guests you invited? icon_biggrin.gif

I hope the groomzilla is just grousing about undiscussed price since he's referencing Costco and isn't really a jerk in the long run.

srkmilklady Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 6:59pm
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasey

Quote:
Originally Posted by srkmilklady


Totally agree here. Why would you serve something to guests that they wouldn't care to eat. It's like having a dinner party and serving lamb for your main course because you LOVE lamb all the while knowing that no one you invited eats lamb! Waste of money and time.




And I agree with you! Yes, it's the bride and groom's choice...but why not make that be about the top tier and the rest of the cake about the guests you invited? icon_biggrin.gif

I hope the groomzilla is just grousing about undiscussed price since he's referencing Costco and isn't really a jerk in the long run.





Agree... thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%