Large Cakes

Baking By Natalie777 Updated 4 Mar 2011 , 2:21pm by Natalie777

Natalie777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natalie777 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 2:08am
post #1 of 11

icon_cry.gif been asked to make large cake for a party, but every time i take a normal recipe and triple the ingredients, it is a total flop. has anybody out there got a recipe for me?Or any other suggestions as i am pretty new at this. Pleeeaaase help.

10 replies
pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 2:17am
post #2 of 11

I often triple or more a recipe without a problem. What is happening with your cakes?

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 2:18am
post #3 of 11

in what way is it a flop?

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 2:33am
post #4 of 11

I often double/triple a cake recipe without issue - ? Have you tried the full-sized recipe for the White Almond Sour Cream cake found on here? It makes a large amount of batter, it has always worked for me, and it can be flavoured with chocolate and other flavours if you don't want a white cake.

jade8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jade8 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 2:54am
post #5 of 11

im just thinking out loud here but if your recipe is from scratch it may be the baking powder. i read in the cake bible when making larger cakes, you need to adjust the baking powder accordingly because there is a larger surface area.

Natalie777 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 11:37am
post #6 of 11

bottom and sides are burning while the middle is barely done. and when i try and cut the sides away the cake is just crumbling which makes it very hard to dirty ice. i need a recipe that is delicious(of course) but is sturdy enough to be covered in fondant and stacked. all help and suggestions are greatly appreciated guys..thanks. icon_cry.gif

tracey1970 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 12:43pm
post #7 of 11

When you make a larger cake, the bottom nd sides being done first is customary. That can happen no matter what recipe you use. When I bake a cake 10" or bigger, I use bake even strips around the outside of the pan to keep the sides from cooking as fast, and I use at least one (but more in larger cakes) inverted, greased flower nails in the centre of the pan since that helps the centre bake faster to keep up with the sides. A heating core will do the same.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 12:53pm
post #8 of 11

It really just sounds like you need to bake at a much lower temp.

tracey1970 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 12:57pm
post #9 of 11

Great point, Leah_s! I forgot to mention that I bake at a temp that is lower than is called for also. Thanks!

cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 1:26pm
post #10 of 11

Why not make each batch seperate and then put them together? I like making no more than a double recipe at a time(2boxes). Oven temp. thermometer is a must. Bake even strips r great and I also like to put a pan with water on my lower rack. Good luck!

Natalie777 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 2:21pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks guys , gonna take all this valuable info and give this cake another trial run tommorow. willpost a foto of the actual cake when i make it next week. wish me luck. i checked out all your cakes and i think they are totally awesome..only wish one day i can produce the same high standard. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%