Copyright Clarification Please

Decorating By amygortoncakes Updated 3 Mar 2011 , 11:58pm by amygortoncakes

amygortoncakes Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 11:41pm
post #1 of 3

So I have been trying to figure this out with regards to the Disney stuff especially.

1. Is it illegal to make Disney cakes that are obviously Disney even if its strictly for personal use? As in no money or trade is involoved

2. Or is it illegal to make ANY cake that has Disney characters etc no matter if you are paid or not.

I am aware of the cake toppers and doing the background and the cakes pans etc. Not talking about that. Talking making Mickey gumpaste figures and that sort of thing.

I just made an UP cake for the SD cake show and I started thinking about how its infringing on the copyright. No one from the show contacted me saying I couldn't enter that theme when I turned in my papers telling what I was going to make.

I guess no matter the answer I am entering my cake. I have worked almost 40 hours on it, and at the this point it would be worth a lawsuit. LOL

Oh and no money is awarded for winning, so there really is no money involved.

2 replies
WykdGud Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 11:56pm
post #2 of 3

You can make a cake of anything you want (even Disney characters) as long as no money or other compensation changes hands. Just like you can draw Mickey Mouse, or paint a mural of him on the wall of your child's nursery - but you can't draw pictures and SELL them. When you taking money away from Disney, that's when it becomes copyright infringement.

If you are entering it in a show, you are showing your skills and not making a profit - so there is no infringement.

amygortoncakes Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 11:58pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you, I am sitting here with this beautiful cake that I am so thrilled with and have these visions in my head of me turning up with it tomorrow only to be told how stupid I am for making a cake that breaks the law.

It makes me feel better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%