Cheese Sauce For Macaroni - How Do I?

Decorating By Emmar308 Updated 4 Mar 2011 , 3:29pm by metria

Emmar308 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmar308 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 10

Hi i've been tasked with making a cake with a plate of macaroni and peas on top. I work with fondant and have no problems with the macaroni and peas, but to get the macaroni to look realistic i need to make it look like its in cheese sauce. Here's my problem, i just can't work out how to make fondant look like cheese sauce! Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make my fondant cheese sauce please!! TFL xx

9 replies
2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 10:13pm
post #2 of 10

dont use fondant for that. Use a super thin royal, like you would to color flow. It will pour out just like cheese sauce. If you put a little vanilla or almond in the royal, it will taste better.

Use fondant for the macaroni and peas.

CakeCrystals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrystals Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 10:21pm
post #3 of 10

I was thinking the same thing about the royal icing. Good Luck

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 10:31pm
post #4 of 10

You could also try the orange Wilton candy melts with cream to make something similar to a pourable ganache. I'm planning on a mac and cheese cake for my DH for his birthday and was going to use the orange candy melts to make the cheese sauce. I'm hoping that with the cream mixed in it will tone down the orange color somewhat. I'd be interested to know how yours turns out. Can you post to this thread when you're done and let us know how it goes?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 10:46pm
post #5 of 10

When I saw the title I was about to be like "Umm okay well you whisk some flour and butter, and then you add half and half, and then you melt in some cheddar cheese, and....."

Oops! icon_biggrin.gif

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 10:51pm
post #6 of 10

how about "steamed" or "poured" buttercream?

cakeyouverymuch Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 10:56pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

When I saw the title I was about to be like "Umm okay well you whisk some flour and butter, and then you add half and half, and then you melt in some cheddar cheese, and....."

Oops! icon_biggrin.gif

LOL Me too! I was sure it was one of those spammy messages that's been getting through in the last little while, and I was all prepared to be snarky. I guess we shouldnever judge a post by its title. icon_biggrin.gif

Emmar308 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmar308 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 11:32am
post #8 of 10

Thankyou for all your reply's. I don't know what steamed buttercream is, i presume poured bc is thinned down, which could work well. I never thought about royal icing or candy melts - i think one of these idea's will work for me. Thanks very much, a fresh pair of eyes sometimes see's the obvious, i was totally stumped!

"LOL Me too! I was sure it was one of those spammy messages that's been getting through in the last little while, and I was all prepared to be snarky. I guess we shouldnever judge a post by its title. "

Ha ha i'm sorry, i did actually try to make my title obvious - i probably should have included the word cake in there though!

Thanks again everyone xx

cakeyouverymuch Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 12:17pm
post #9 of 10

Let us know which method you use and how it turns out.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 3:29pm
post #10 of 10

"steamed" buttercream means you warm it up carefully. you can do it in short bursts in the microwave or you can have it in a bowl over a pot of simmering water. it should get loose enough to pour, but not too hot that it will separate ... even if that happens, you can just cool it, re-whip, and re-use.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%