Instant Coffee For Chocolate Cake

Baking By robbynjaye Updated 4 Mar 2011 , 2:12pm by cakeyouverymuch

robbynjaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robbynjaye Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 7:37pm
post #1 of 12

Hi everyone!

I'm wondering if my chocolate cake will taste yummy if I use dark coffee from dunkin donuts or should I buy the packets from the grocery store and boil it myself. I am not a coffee drinker so I have none in the house.

Also, does it have to be hot when pouring it in the batter?

One more question...if I use 1 cup of buttermilk in my batter already, should I substitute some of that milk for coffee or just add about 1/2 cup in addition to. I'm so nervous to use coffee.

ANy help is much appreciated!

11 replies
Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 12

You probably don't want to add any additional liquid. You could add 1 tsp of instant espresso powder (not grounds) or 1 tablespoon of instant coffee powder to your milk that's been warmed a bit, then stir until dissolved. I wouldn't add super hot liquid to cake batter unless the recipe specifically calls for it. hth

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 10:25pm
post #3 of 12

I too use instant for coffee flavor-well, really I find it just adds a little depth to the flavor profile.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 10:26pm
post #4 of 12

Does your recipe ask for both buttermilk AND a cup of hot coffee?

If not, and you want to add the coffee, just add instant with your dry ingresients snf keep the liquid ingredients exactly the same.

Don't sub out your buttermilk for either coffee or water. If your recipe calls for buttermilk odds are it also calls for baking soda. If you alter the buttermilk in relation to the baking soda your cake might not bake as expected.

If your recipe does call for both, you can add the instant with your dry ingredients and replace the cup of hot coffee with a cup of very hot, but not boiling, water.

HTH

robbynjaye Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 1:56am
post #5 of 12

The cake doesnt call for coffee at all, I was just hoping to add a little boost to the cocoa and a tid bit more moistness. So i'm guessing the coffee only adds flavor and not moistness. I will try adding instant coffee to the dry mixture. Thanks!

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 2:10am
post #6 of 12

I use instant espresso powder too

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 2:28am
post #7 of 12

I use the Mocha VIA from starbucks. Gives it a little extra chocolate with the coffee. Plus you don't have to warm up your buttermilk, it dissolves into cold liquid just fine. I use 1 packet per mix, but you can always add more or less depending on your tastes.

cakeyouverymuch Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 12:24pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbynjaye

The cake doesnt call for coffee at all, I was just hoping to add a little boost to the cocoa and a tid bit more moistness. So i'm guessing the coffee only adds flavor and not moistness. I will try adding instant coffee to the dry mixture. Thanks!

It won't add moistness, and you won't actually taste the coffee unless you add a big amount, but you will notice a new depth of flavor to the chocolate. My recipe calls for a cup of hot coffee and like I said, I add instant to the dry ingredients, but I have also left out the instant and replaced the coffee portion of the recipe with a cup of very strong chai tea and once with a cup of very strong orange spice tea. Both were very well received.

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 12:32pm
post #9 of 12

I add instant espresso powder to the dry ingredients, it realy does boost the chocolate flavor nicely.

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 12:44pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeyouverymuch

Quote:

It won't add moistness, and you won't actually taste the coffee unless you add a big amount, but you will notice a new depth of flavor to the chocolate. My recipe calls for a cup of hot coffee and like I said, I add instant to the dry ingredients, but I have also left out the instant and replaced the coffee portion of the recipe with a cup of very strong chai tea and once with a cup of very strong orange spice tea. Both were very well received.

Sounds interesting! Do you put the chai in chocolate cake batter or some other flavor?

I used to add the espresso powder to the dry ingredients, but then I had an instance where it didn't completely dissolve, so now I stir it into the liquid.

robbynjaye Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 1:52pm
post #11 of 12

Well, I'm trying it today. I will buy instant coffee and put it in my dry ingredients instead of adding more liquid. that way i can keep my full cup of buttermilk and not take away moisture. thanks for your help!

cakeyouverymuch Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 2:12pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangriacupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeyouverymuch

Quote:

Sounds interesting! Do you put the chai in chocolate cake batter or some other flavor?

I used to add the espresso powder to the dry ingredients, but then I had an instance where it didn't completely dissolve, so now I stir it into the liquid.

As I said, my chocolate cake recipe calls for both buttermilk AND 1.5 cups of hot coffee. When I want to make it a Chai chocolate cake, I omit the instant coffee altogether, make up 1.5 cups of very strong Chai tea (using 4-5 tea bags depending on the brand) and add that at the end where the recipe calls for the hot coffee. I have never tried with other than chocolate cake, though I guess you could steep the tea bags in hot milk, allow it to cool and use that in a white or plain vanilla cake. Guess I know what cake I'll be testing this weekend. lol, the possibilities are endless.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%