Turning Gumpaste Black

Decorating By countrycaker Updated 4 Mar 2011 , 4:11am by funpets

countrycaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycaker Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 7

I need to make some figures using a fondant/gumpaste mixture so they will dry hard. But the fondant I'll be using is black and I need it to stay that way - I worry it'll turn gray when I mix it with the gumpaste. Should I just add black coloring to the mixture or will that make it too sticky? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

6 replies
kimmerly1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmerly1966 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 10:30pm
post #2 of 7

Hi. Turning gp or fondant black is very very hard, same with dark purple and red! I buy those colors. I know it is a bit more expensive but it really saves me time! Unless I was doing the entire cake in black it is not that much! Otherwise, start with brown and add black that way you do not use so much black that it becomes sticky! Hope this helps!

countrycaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycaker Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 3:17am
post #3 of 7

I actually plan on buying black fondant for covering the cake, then I want to mix some of that fondant with gumpaste to make some figures for the cake that will need to be sturdy. I'm worried that mixing the two will create a gray mixture ... unless ... is it possible to buy black gumpaste?

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 3:49am
post #4 of 7

I'd mix it & then add some black color. If it's still gray you might try 60 fondant / 40 gumpaste. Or I make some of my figures out of straight fondant depending on how much time they have to dry & what they are. HTH!

Chonte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chonte Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 4:03am
post #5 of 7

i think as long as you don't use too much gumpaste the color would be fine. i agree with sebrina with the 60/40 ratio. maybe add a lil black to your gumpaste first to make it grey, then add it to the black fondant.

funpets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funpets Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 4:09am
post #6 of 7

I usually add tylose powder to fondant to make it stretchy,or better still paint in black when you are done.

funpets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funpets Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 4:11am
post #7 of 7

I usually add tylose powder to fondant to make it stretchy,or better still paint in black when you are done.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%