First Time Fondant Maker.....question....how Do You Know??

Baking By RedRoxx Updated 4 Mar 2011 , 11:27pm by RedRoxx

RedRoxx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RedRoxx Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 6:34pm
post #1 of 6

So I just made my first mmf. It's currently hanging out in plastic wrap resting up.

Now, I didn't have a 16 oz bag, and really, I don't need that much for what I want to do. However, how do you know you've added enough powdered sugar?? I've never played with, ate, seen in person fondant, so I don't really know what the consistency is supposed to be like.

It seems ok, but depending on how I manipulate it, there are some sticky parts. I know it'll have some kind of sticky to it to be binding and not ripping, but I'm just not 100%

Thanks!! I'm off to make my buttercream. icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
Ambar2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ambar2 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 6

I always look for a consistency a tinny bit softer than play dough.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 6

it might help you to look for "marshmallow fondant" on youTube. watch a few videos of what it looks like, how people make it, and how people handle it. don't be discouraged, there's a bit of a learning curve especially if you've never encountered it before.

RedRoxx Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 7:29pm
post #4 of 6

icon_eek.gif

I'm going to have to try and remember what the constancy of play-doh feels like or find a kid to borrow their stash! hahahah

I watched a few on youtube icon_smile.gif which really got me on the "i can totally do this!" boat

Thank you both for your posts!

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 7:34pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoxx

icon_eek.gif

I'm going to have to try and remember what the constancy of play-doh feels like or find a kid to borrow their stash! hahahah

I watched a few on youtube icon_smile.gif which really got me on the "i can totally do this!" boat

Thank you both for your posts!

i played with some of my toddler's playdough the other day. my hubby swears it's much better than "back in our day"!!

RedRoxx Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 11:27pm
post #6 of 6

It worked out ok!!! icon_smile.gif I have some left over from what I was using them for and am probably going to play with it next week and see what stuff I can make with it. Flowers or figures or what not. icon_smile.gif

The book turned out great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%