What Kind Of Ribbon Is Best For The Base Of A 3 Tier Bc Cake

Decorating By holliellen Updated 3 Mar 2011 , 9:37pm by holliellen

holliellen Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 4:23pm
post #1 of 6

I am doing ribbon around a cake for the first time and just wanted to make sure to tell them the correct kind of ribbon to get me. I was just thinking like a 1 inch satin ribbon would be the best but wanted to ask someone whos done it before.

5 replies
Uniqueask Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 4:34pm
post #2 of 6

You are correct, Most people use Satin, but you can also use Fondant.

icer101 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 4:55pm
post #3 of 6

i have also read to buy, the ribbon that they use on outside florals. Can't think of the name of it. hth

sillywabbitz Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 6:23pm
post #4 of 6

No matter what be sure you do not buy wired ribbon. My friend brought me wired ribbon and I had to remove the wire which puckers the ribbon etc. No fun at all. Plain satin ribbon should be fine.

love2makecakes Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 8:34pm
post #5 of 6

I used to use real ribbon around cakes, the ribbon will absorb the grease in the buttercream either completely darkening the ribbon or leaving blotching spots. Some say you can iron on wax from wax paper. Personally I have had no luck with that.

I will only use fondant ribbon now. After thinking about where all that ribbon has been (ie. not knowing really), I decided I did not want to add that on my cakes.

holliellen Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 9:37pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks Everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%