Eiffel Tower!!!!!!!! Help!

Decorating By kimmerly1966 Updated 4 Mar 2011 , 12:01am by FullHouse

kimmerly1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmerly1966 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 4:14pm
post #1 of 8

Hi, I am doing a Baby shower cake for a lady that wants the Eiffel tower and pink poodles! I have done neither!! I was looking for molds and was thinking i would do a poured sugar eiffel tower but can't find a 3d mold. I found candy molds that are only the one side, but I want it on the top any suggestions?? besides making my own mold, i have done that for other things and I'm not very good at it!! I can do it, but need a back up just in case! Also, any suggestions on making a poodle?? icon_smile.gif Thanks GUys!

7 replies
kimmerly1966 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 10:27pm
post #2 of 8

No one?? I would imagine that it would be worth someonetimes to make one and ill buy it LOL

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 10:32pm
post #3 of 8

You could shape one out of RKT, cover in fondant/modeling chocolate, and pipe the details on. That would be a lot of work though! I bet someone will have a super idea, maybe even know where you can get a good mold! icon_smile.gif

kimmerly1966 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 10:34pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks Renaejrk that is my second choice. I am super surprised that no place sells one like MYOM, if it was two pieces i could pour sugar into each side wait, and just put them together, then it would even look like it was glass!! That would be perfect. I have used MYOM but im sooooooooooooo bad at it and everything i do with it just never works for me lol

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 10:39pm
post #5 of 8

I guess I am behind the times - MYOM? what is that?

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 10:50pm
post #6 of 8

Can you pipe well? how about royal icing frame work (pipe and overpipe several times, on acetate over a pattern of an Eiffel tower side) and then let dry for a week, and then assemble?

Or use a clay extruder to pipe out gumpaste in the same pattern, then assemble. I put together a wrought iron bed fram like this for one of my cakes.

IMO, that would give the tower a more airy feel, and you could airbrush it silver or grey even.

kimmerly1966 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 10:52pm
post #7 of 8

That's not a bad idea, I'm not a great piper but have done tiara's etc that turned out pretty good! I will try that and see how it works! Thanks

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 12:01am
post #8 of 8

I used this template: http://www.papertoys.com/eiffel.htm

To make a gum paste Eiffel Tower: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1587926

I made the white framework in 12 sections (top, middle and bottom for each side). I also made 2 gum paste pieces to lay flat in between the bottom & middle, and the middle & top section. Those support pieces were squares of gum paste with the centers cut out, just wide enough so I would have a platform to glue each wall to. I made all of these a week in advance and let each piece dry for a bit but assembled each level while the gum paste was still malleable enough to bend the sections. I let each of the 3 levels dry for a week, then assembled the structure and added the black details. The black pieces are made using a clay extruder and was pretty tedious. The assembly & black details took several hours.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%