Help! Forgot To Defrost Cakes To Decorate Today :s

Decorating By sarascakecreations Updated 3 Mar 2011 , 3:41pm by lilmissbakesalot

sarascakecreations Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 2:49pm
post #1 of 4

Hello all,

So I'm working on my book cake some of you may know about.... AND well I forgot to take out the 3 9x13 chocolate cakes to dirty ice and decorate today for the base cake. Any ideas on how to defrost it quickly without damaging the structure/moisture of each cake?

Am I screwed? Do I just have to wait it out? Can I pop it in the oven with maybe the door open for like 15 min to give it a head start????

Also a quick structure question hopefully someone can answer. I have a huge base cake then I am stacking 3 books on top of that .... I am only putting 1 book on at home and the other 2 books will be stacked on location.... do I need a center dowel? No right since I won't be moving the cake..... I was just going to use those wide plastic straws? Will it hold the weight?

3 replies
lilmissbakesalot Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 3:08pm
post #2 of 4

You won't need a central dowel.. it will travel just fine.

Just take your cakes out now and let them sit on your counter on a cooling rack. I wouldn't attempt putting them in the oven at all sinc ethey will warm up and it may dry out the outer surfaces. It shouldn't take too long for them to warm up to the point you can work with them.

SugarKissesCakery Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 3:14pm
post #3 of 4

I would also just leave them out. They won't take very much time at all to defrost.

About the plastic straws, they work just fine and absolutely will support the weight. I do four tier wedding cakes and use bubble tea straws as supports with no problems at all. I know many people out there swear by the SPS system but the straws have always worked just fine for me so I see no reason to change.

Good luck on your cake icon_smile.gif

lilmissbakesalot Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 3:41pm
post #4 of 4

I use bubble tea straws too... they work great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%