Strong Paste

Decorating By sugarcrazy Updated 5 Mar 2011 , 12:55am by sugarcrazy

sugarcrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcrazy Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 1:58pm
post #1 of 5

I need help urgently.
I have recently started making sugarpaste decorations which i then sell on ebay.
I have made my own flower paste (as it is much cheaper) to make the items as i thought this would be stronger than just sugarpaste or modelling paste.
However the items are not very strong and most of them donot survive postal transit.
I need something really strong but at the same time allow me to model it.
Pleeeease can someone help to tell me what i can use and give me the recepie. Thankyou

4 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 7:32am
post #2 of 5

Have you tried gumpaste? It dries a lot harder than fondant (which I think is the same as sugarpaste). There are several recipes in the recipe section here (enter the search term "gumpaste" - it will give you several things you don't need, but there are about three gumpaste recipes there). Pastillage dries even harder than gumpaste, but it dries out and becomes unworkable really fast. If you're a fast worker, you could try it. The pastillage recipe comes up in the gumpaste search, as well. HTH!
Oh, I forgot to ask you how you were shipping your figures. Do you wrap them in several layers of bubble wrap? If not, that might help keep them in one piece. Best of luck!

sugarcrazy Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 12:17pm
post #3 of 5

Thankyou so much for your response Marianna. I live in the UK and what you call gumpaste, we call flowerpaste. So it is Gumpaste that I have used (Lindy Smith's recepie).
I went to the gumpaste recepies (as per your suggestion) and had a look at the recepies there. I think I will try one from there (Chaptips recepie) which is a little different to Lindy's (It does not have Liquid glucose and gelatine).
Maybe it will dry harder. But I am a little confused as how much icing sugar to use as it says "1 -2 lb" icing sugar.
As regards to posing, I do you use bubblewrap in between layers but some flowers still break.
I am still open to any more suggestions. Thankyou.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 4:34pm
post #4 of 5

Gee, I wish I had some more to give! I've never tried mailing any figures, especially flowers. It might be worth it to order a couple of flowers online, just to see how they're packed and how much breakage there is (or, if you know someone who has ordered flowers online, you could ask how they arrived, and it wouldn't cost anything!). Maybe you would need something like a semi-fitted styrofoam holder to put the bubble-wrapped pieces into, although that sounds like a lot of work and expense. The "1-2 lb" thing in the recipe has to do with the fact that some recipes vary a lot in the amount of powdered sugar they need, depending on the temperature and the humidity the day you make it, and probably lots of other extraneous stuff, like how warm you hands are at any given time. I know the recipe I use goes all over the map, and I'm usually at a loss to understand exactly why. I'm fascinated with your business idea, by the way. Too bad we don't live a little closer to each other - I'd probably be ordering from you!

sugarcrazy Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 12:55am
post #5 of 5

Thankyou for taking out time to help me. I really do appreciate. I dont think there are many people out there like you.
Ive taken on board all your advice.
By the way, many people do sell cake decorations here in the UK on EBAY. A lot of competition!!. But I enjoy what I do and I like to get it right. A lot of satisfaction when you get good feedback from customers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%