Wedding Dummy Cake

Decorating By Debcent Updated 3 Mar 2011 , 2:31pm by Debcent

Debcent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debcent Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 1:24pm
post #1 of 4

I was wondering if I decide to make my daughters wedding cake here soon, using cake dummies. How far in advance can I make it without it looking bad? I was thinking of covering it with fondant(mm) and using Jennifer Dontz's choc fondant to make drapes. Im afraid to start too soon on this for I do not want the cake to dry out or look bad. Should I not use fondant at all and just stick to icing only. The wedding is in June and I was hoping i could get a start on it soon. I need to practice. I also was thinking of making it a 4 tiers of dummy cake and the 5th bottom tier being real cake for the cutting ceremony. Is it hard to place a 4 tier dummy cake on top of a large bottom real cake tier? I hope im making sense. And is there any tricks to get dummy cake teirs to stick together? I have not done this before and am very nervous about it. thank you all!

3 replies
dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 1:45pm
post #2 of 4

All I make are dummy (faux) wedding cakes. I have some that still look perfect 2 years later. Start now and use the least expensive fondant you can. If you are making MMF leave out the flavouring. Add 1-2 tbsp cornsyrup or glucose and 1 tbsp glycerine to make it easier to handle. I usually just add a bit of tylose to my fondant for bows and drapes. Make s it stretchier and easier to work with. You can start making the cake now.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 2:24pm
post #3 of 4

Actually, you *do* want it to completely dry. And yes, start now.

Debcent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debcent Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 2:31pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you very much for your replys.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%