Need Help With Bakery Floor Plan

Business By jenng1482 Updated 3 Mar 2011 , 2:39pm by VickeyC

jenng1482 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 4:10am
post #1 of 5

Hi all! I have recently relocated to an new town and had to give up my rented kitchen space. Good news is that the house that we bought has a space in the basement for a kitchen! Bad news is that its only 260 sq feet. It is a perfect rectangle of 10' X 26'. Can those who have renovated spaces or have smaller kitchen spaces in their storefront please chime in with ideas, suggestions, pics, floorplans, etc to help me in the design and planning process?
Thanks a bunch!

4 replies
scp1127 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 4:22am
post #2 of 5

You can plan it out, but in my experience, the plumber and the electrician made changes in my floorplan that saved on the buildout. A licensed contractor will already be familiar with the code. Their suggestions will keep thousands in your pocket.

For a floorplan, you might want to streamline everything mechanical down one long wall and have worktables on the other. Make good use of shelves on the wall to make up for less floor space.

jenng1482 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 4:27am
post #3 of 5

Thanks! I have met with a plumber and know where the sinks will be. I also have an idea of where the ovens will go. My biggest concerns are enough table space, storage units, and work room

cakenovice2010 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 1:34pm
post #4 of 5

I hired a planner specifically for this reason. My space is very small and I wanted to make sure everything would fit properly and to code. Most contractors have someone they can recommend that does this for a living and you can get blueprints done up. icon_smile.gif

VickeyC Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 2:39pm
post #5 of 5

I too have a very small area for my cake kitchen. It is only 7' X 22' with 3 doors entering into the space. I also had to work my area around the breaker box, so that there wasn't a sink near it. Along one of the long walls, I have my hand sink, a door (leading into laundry room), a counter space ( @ 6') and 3 compartment sink, with a long stainless steal shelf above the sink, then a small empty space where the breaker box is located.. On the back (short wall) I have a work area that is similar to a desk with 6 drawers (3 on each side of where my chair slides under) and one upright cabinet. Then on the second long wall, I have an open area for a chair and trash can, my stove, a small cabinet with counter top (@ 3') then my fridge, then another door (leading into garage). Then the front (short wall) has an entry door from the outside.
I hope that I explained my lay out well enough for you to picture it. If not, let me know and I will try to take pics and send them to you. It was hard (for me) to design everthing that was needed in such a small space, but it was doable. Luckily my Dad (retired commercial builder) was the one who did all of the work for me. Someone else would have probably shot me by the time we were finished. icon_lol.gif
BTW I have my dry storage shelving in my laundry room and there is a half bath off of the laundry room as well. I had to put self closures on the doors leading out of the "business area" as well as on the bathroom door.
I hope that this helps. If there is anything that I can do to help you, please feel free to msg me. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%