Proper Etiquette?

Decorating By CiNoRi Updated 7 Mar 2011 , 4:05pm by OneCreativeCookie

CiNoRi Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 3:19am
post #1 of 8

I have a cake baking business... an all my friends know it....
When they all had their first kids, I provided them the baby shower cakes at no cost...Now the kiddies are turning 1.... I figured showers for free no problem.... but gotta draw the line somwhere... its a business right? So birthdays, etc, I start charging

No one has complained, but i got to thinking.... For these parties... i of course am and will be getting invites to be a guest....

Recently I was asked to do a cake for one of my friend's child's 1st birthday.... I charged them normal price for the cake. They wanted cake pops as party favors, and i figured that would be my contribution to the party.

Now im asked to do a cake for another friends kid's birthday...I charged them full price. No qualms from the parents or anything. But, I feel like I should do something since I'll be at the party & will eat the cake.

I cant afford to give freebies to all the friends....but i feel bad to get paid for a cake & party that i will enjoy....

Is there some sort of etiquette? or what would you all do?

7 replies
tmgarcia_98 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 3:35am
post #2 of 8

Personally, I wouldn't feel bad.

If you were going to a party and enjoying some food, cake, etc, but you DIDN'T make the cake, would you feel bad? Probably not. You would bring a gift for the birthday child and enjoy yourself.

If you would rather do cake pops, or another treat, you could always consider that your gift, but remember that is more for the mom who planned the party than the kid. I am sure the kid would rather have a toy icon_wink.gif

StacyN Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 3:40am
post #3 of 8

I would think since you are also invited to the party you should bring a gift of your choice for the birthday boy/girl. Other than that I wouldn't think you should be expected to do anything special except show up. You shouldn't have to contribute anything to a friends child's birthday party. I would bring a gift and the cake and have a good time. icon_smile.gif

RedRoxx Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 5:40am
post #4 of 8

think about it this way, what if you didn't do cakes, but instead ran a party supply store? You'd sell all the themed plates, napkins, table cloths, ect. and maybe you'd give them a discount, but then when you go to the party, would you also bring a cake?

EmmyNoah Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 6:30pm
post #5 of 8

What do you do? Buy a nice gift for the birthday boy/girl, have a good time and eat some great cake.

cowie Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 6:16pm
post #6 of 8

It's always hard when it's family and friends. I hate this part of selling cakes! I normally give a discount or have in the past if it's a potluck bring a cake as our contribution and let that be my chance to try new techniques etc. If you are really close to all your friends I think you need to do the same for everyone because you know eventually everyone will find out and someone might get mad. I would make your decision and stick to your guns icon_smile.gif

Nusi Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 6:32pm
post #7 of 8

well if u feel so bad about it u can treat the cake as the birthday gift.. or if the cost is high of the cake then just make a discount.. but i honestly wouldn't feel bad about it.. business is business... i always pay full when i eat at my brothers coffee shop so why shouldn't u get paid for ur hard work

OneCreativeCookie Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 4:05pm
post #8 of 8

You were sweet to offer baby shower cakes to your friends icon_smile.gif

I have a custom cookie business and my children have been invited to a few parties where my cookies are to be the party favors. In this situation, I do not charge my friends for the cookies that are going home with my own children...just seems odd to me to make money on the sale of something that will eventually end up in my kids' hands. So, if your friends want cake pop favors, maybe you could just contribute those that will go home with you at no charge.

If I were contributing cookies to be consumed at the party (like a cake would be), I would just charge the regular price.

Otherwise, enjoy the party, take a gift the birthday child will enjoy and remember that your friends are glad to be able to support you, their friend, in your business and have your sweet children at their children's birthday parties!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%