Torte The Layers For Stacking On A 3D Sculpted Cake Or No?

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 3 Mar 2011 , 12:59am by lilmissbakesalot

Kiddiekakes Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 11:30pm
post #1 of 4

I have baked all my Butter pound cakes for my 3D Shark head I am doing for this weekend..On so many of the cake shows you see them cut and torte the 2 inch layer and then ice and stack it that way for a 3D cake putting a board in between every 4 th torte.

Can someone explain the reasoning for this?Is the cake sturdier in skinnier torted layers...I did this with a black forest cake a few weeks ago and it seemed to make the cake more unstable...The cake was very flimsy and almost fell over...Seems to me the 2 inch thick layers would be more solid...

Any advice would be appreciated...especially before I attempt to stack and carve these cakes icon_wink.gif

Laurel thumbs_up.gif

3 replies
lilmissbakesalot Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 12:02am
post #2 of 4

Well a black forest cake is a little less stable given the slippery cherry filling. I'd say your filling layers might have been a little too thick if it was to the point it almost fell over. Did you chill it well before you tried to ice it? If I am using a slippery filling I make sure to pipe a good dam and not make the filling layers too thick, which is easier to do when you have three filling layers since you don't need it to be 1/2" thick to make sure you have enough of a filling to cake ratio, and chill it before I ice it so the dams are solid and hold the cake together nicely.

I don't offer slippery fillings with a carved cake since the filling would fall out when you carved it. With BC it's not a problem. I do torte, but it's out of habit. I would go 6" without a board in a carved cake, but no more since the weight might crush the bottom layers of cake.

If it's not a hugely complicated carve (like the body of a chicken), sometimes I will carve the cake first and score the side and take it apart and fill it so I can use a filling like a lemon curd or a fruit puree, but if it's complex it's not possible.

I think that if you are just using BC, having that "cement" every two inches is a good thing... so long as it's not too thick. Putting a board every 4th torte is pretty standard... think of it as individual tiers... just make sure your support borads are a bit less in diameter than your finished shaped would be. If it's the same sometimes it can protrude a bit when you ice and fondant things.

Kiddiekakes Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 12:36am
post #3 of 4

Yes..I agree..the black forest was unstable because of the cherry filling...I did dam it but it got too slippery...That is a good idea about the boards being a bit smaller in size.

lilmissbakesalot Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 12:59am
post #4 of 4

I slapped a carrot cake with cream cheese SMBC together (for my mom) really quickly and the icing was a bit too warm but I was pressed for time and I laid it on a little thick because that's how my mom likes it... LOL. That thing slipped and slided all over the place... hehehe.

When you do torte you have to resist the urge to lay the filling on as thick as you normally would. My filling layers are about 3/8" thick. Sounds small, but when you think about there being three layers of it and the cake itself being cut thinner it's really all you need.

Quote by @%username% on %date%