2D Not 3D Roses??

Decorating By dukeswalker Updated 6 Mar 2011 , 12:40pm by srkmilklady

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 11:30pm
post #1 of 10

I am making a slot machine cake and they have requested roses in the winning windows instead of 7, cherries, etc....Does anyone have any tips on how I can make 2D (totally flat) roses?

9 replies
Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 11:45pm
post #2 of 10

Use a flattish silicon rose mould? Or do thattechnique shown in CC magazine where they rolled up black (outline) and red (petal colour) fondant, then sliced thin slices which them looked a bit like roses face-on.

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 11:47pm
post #3 of 10

possibly use the brushed embroidery technique?

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 11:48pm
post #4 of 10

If you google Toll Painting you can see how to paint a rose and get the effect of petals and layers. Basically your start out with a T with the top of it curved in a darker color than your fondant. Make C's around it with the darker color so that the C is on its side (if that makes sense. Or a curved V?). Do rows so that they are not all symmetrical. Then you back with a lighter color in the same family (like if you used burgundy for making your C's and T, then use a red for this) and paint to the edge of the C and sort of blend it in. Use white for highlights. Its much easier if you google toll painting and see what Im talking about than trying to explain it on here.
Section option is to make if out of fondant keeping everything flat and thin. But it wont be totally flat when your dont.
Third option is brushed embroidery with royal icing!

Evoir Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 11:49pm
post #5 of 10

oooh yes, brushed embroidery would look fab!

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 12:45am
post #6 of 10

Is there a rose patchwork cutter you could use?

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 1:31am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoir

Use a flattish silicon rose mould? Or do thattechnique shown in CC magazine where they rolled up black (outline) and red (petal colour) fondant, then sliced thin slices which them looked a bit like roses face-on.

This sounds like it would work....I missed that article though!

Evoir Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 2:09am
post #8 of 10

You might be able to buy that issue online now?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 2:26am
post #9 of 10

edible image

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 12:40pm
post #10 of 10

There is a patchwork cutter for an open rose at globalsugarart.com. as suggested by Coral3.
http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=18259&name=Open%20Rose%20Patchwork%20Cutter

However, if it were me I would go with the edible image as Leah suggested, if that's something readily available to you.

Just personal preference and what is more available to you at this point.

Good luck with your cake...HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%