Looking For Some Alternative Suggestions

Decorating By mrswendel Updated 3 Mar 2011 , 6:27pm by mrswendel

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 10:08pm
post #1 of 9

Hi all,

I have been asked to do a first communion cake for a little boy. His mom sent me this cake:

http://www.pinkcakebox.com/images/cake1451.jpg

However, she wanted it to be a little more masculine so no pink. To me, this is a very feminine cake, even without the pink. She mentioned that he is a very "nature" oriented boy, so anything to do with nature is perfect for him. I have been looking for some alternatives to send her but can't find something nature oriented and elegant (suitable for a first communion) at the same time. Does anyone have any ideas they would be willing to share? (She really wants a 3 tier cake, but only has 50 guests so 2 tier would work as well)

8 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 10:35pm
post #2 of 9

What if you subbed the flowers with just big leaves, and the butterflies with bumble bees and/or ladybugs? Or maybe frogs and snails! Think of that rhyme about what little boys are made of, minus the puppy dog tails.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 10:51pm
post #3 of 9

I was thinking, leaves, twigs, little bugs, a little snake maybe...blades of grass. I'm sure you will think of something!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 11:06pm
post #4 of 9

yep - leaves!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 11:43pm
post #5 of 9

I too was thinking brown twigs and bugs and butterflies with more muted colored flowers instead of bright pinks and yellows.Leaves too..

annie84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annie84 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 12:03am
post #6 of 9

Here's a link to a Martha Stewart, ntaure themed wedding cake. You could probably use a lot of elements from it for the first communion.

http://www.edytaszyszlo.com/blog/2008/11/10/trends-of-2009-nature-inspired-cakes/

cowie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowie Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 12:49am
post #7 of 9

I was thinking leaves, bark, bugs would be cute!

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 2:10pm
post #8 of 9
mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 6:27pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks for the ideas everyone! I have sent her a few photos of different cakes with leaves and branches and different bugs. We'll see what she decides icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%