disco dust all over cake... to add sparkle....

Decorating By therese379 Updated 9 Sep 2013 , 2:07pm by Rosie93095

BatterUpCake Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 9:12pm
post #31 of 50

I ate glue sticks as a kid and look how I turned out!!! 8O

CassidysCakesAn Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 10:33pm
post #32 of 50

AAn extra fine glitter with lots of sparkle Developed for the cake decorating and craft industry Disco Dusts contain only ingredients that are NON-TOXIC. These dusts are not a food product and should not be considered as such. from ckproducts page I wasn't able to find what it's made out of but I would imagine the same as regular craft glitter.

PudsMom Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 11:09pm
post #33 of 50

AIn Texas, you can't sell "adulterated" food. Putting non-toxic disco dust all over a cake, where it cannot be removed before consumption, would make it "adulterated".

As far the bill HB2113, that died on the floor, it used very general language...if it had passed "AS WRITTEN" it would have included isomalt and gumpaste.

I'm not trying to be an attorney, I was just trying to pass along information, in case they didn't know. Jeez!


83R5776 KKR-D By: Raymond H.B. No. 2113 A BILL TO BE ENTITLED AN ACT relating to the regulation of cottage food products and cottage food production operations. BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS: SECTION 1. Chapter 437, Health and Safety Code, is amended by adding Section 437.0195 to read as follows: Sec. 437.0195. PROHIBITED USE OF CERTAIN INGREDIENTS BY COTTAGE FOOD PRODUCTION OPERATIONS. A cottage food production operation may not use in a cottage food product an ingredient that is not intended for human consumption, including an edible decoration. SECTION 2. This Act takes effect immediately if it receives a vote of two-thirds of all the members elected to each house, as provided by Section 39, Article III, Texas Constitution. If this Act does not receive the vote necessary for immediate effect, this Act takes effect September 1, 2013.

lindseyjhills Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 11:43pm
post #34 of 50


Original message sent by AZCouture

The big grocery store here sprinkles it allll over their nasty little cupcakes. Blergh.

There is a well know UK cupcake business that still sprinkles glitter all over their cupcakes (at least they still did two months ago when I last walked past one of their stands). I'm 99% certain it is the non-toxic variety as I've done a lot of research into edible glitters and for want of a better word its just too sparkly. It really annoys me that they get away with it. It's such a large operation that they can't have failed to notice the FSA guidelines!

LisaBerczel Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 11:46pm
post #35 of 50

Disco Dusts and Glitter are a plastic film and NOT food-grade. I suspect that much of the dusts, shimmers, and glitters sold for cake decorating is a cosmetic grade product. AND - Glitter does NOT appear to be an FDA approved cosmetic ingredient. I see tons of "discretionary", "special effects" and "novelty use" discussions.


FDA appears to classify glitter as a Composite Pigment:

  • Composite pigments: Color additives used in combination to achieve variable effects, such as those found in pearlescent products, are subject to the same regulations as all other color additives. Some color additives, when used in combination, may form new pigments, which may not be approved for the intended use. An example is a "holographic" glitter, consisting of aluminum, an approved color additive, bonded to an etched plastic film.


Link: http://www.fda.gov/forindustry/coloradditives/coloradditivesinspecificproducts/incosmetics/ucm110032.htm


Long and short of it - while the glitter may be Non-Toxic, what do our stomach acids do to it?


My philosophy is to use proper food grade products when people are going to eat the results - even though that sometimes put us at a disadvantage. Decorative items, then non-toxic comes into the mix when there's no other way to get the result required. This includes pencil, painter's tape, non-toxic colors.... etc.

BatterUpCake Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 11:46pm
post #36 of 50

Some BonBon company has come out with a process where they make their stuff glittery and food safe. I'd like to know how they do it or wish they sold the dust...http://bedazzlemybonbons.com/

LisaBerczel Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 12:01am
post #37 of 50


I've eaten their bon bons and know their FAQ and have talked to them and I am still skeptical.

But, I'm cynical and jaded after working in the cosmetic industry for as long as I have.

Charmed Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 12:29am
post #38 of 50

Disco dust is no edible:


liz at sugar Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 1:04am
post #41 of 50

Does the bonbon company have a patent, since they claim the "process" is what creates the sparkle?  Just curious if anyone knows.



BatterUpCake Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 1:26am
post #43 of 50

The BonBon place says theirs is not Disco Dust...The people he/she spoke to in the article said it was disco dust.

howsweet Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 2:13am
post #47 of 50

Obviously there's still much confusion about these products which is why there's even a discussion on it in the first place. I'm sure the company named in the article wasn't trying to mislead anyone. I have had nothing but positive experiences with that company. The lady who runs it speaks English, but it's not her first language, so that probably makes dealing with suppliers even more difficult. And it is the suppliers who are to blame for all the confusion.

Rosie93095 Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 2:07pm
post #50 of 50

What is the bedazzled coating made of?
The coating is a combination of sanding sugars and food coloring, that has absolutely no texture or taste to it and is completely safe for all ages. The main ingredient in our product is starch based (similar to gum arabic), however, it is truly the PROCESS, and not the product used that creates the "Bedazzled" effect...and that is our trade secret!


This is on their website.

Quote by @%username% on %date%