Repeat Cakes At Shows

Decorating By Naturepixie Updated 4 Mar 2011 , 1:16pm by thallo

Naturepixie Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 3:25pm
post #1 of 6

I may be opening a can of worms.. But I'm just going to put it out here.. I have just recently started going to cake shows, as I have only been to a total of 4 shows. I must say the cake shows themselves are pretty spectacular.. However, I am already so tired of seeing repeat cakes. When I go to a show I don't want to see someones last year cake, I've already seen it.

I think if you are going to enter a show you need to make a specific cake for that show. If you want to show off your previous work then put your cake on the display table...

So for all of you cake clubs that put on cake shows. Thank You! Y'all do a fantastic job. I have a great time when I attend. However, I think the rules need to change a bit to state "No cake may be entered into our show that has been in competition at a previous show."

5 replies
Elcee Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 12:08am
post #2 of 6

The ICES show that I've entered in the past 2 years DOES have a rule to that effect. I think it states that work needs to be original to this show or something. It's probably virtually impossible to enforce, though.

I did notice that someone entered a cake that was VERY similar to an entry from last year. It was obviously a different decorator and could have been a coincidence. Another one I noticed was a cake that was an unusual shape and structure entered last year seemed to have been "re-decorated" to go with the theme this year. Same shape and structure, different decoration. I looked at pictures from previous shows and saw what was virtually a replica of the blue ruffle cake (not sure if that's Marina Sousa's or Colette Peters').

Naturepixie Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 2:04pm
post #3 of 6

I think all cake shows should use that rule. icon_smile.gif

I can understand someone different trying to do the same tecniques as another cake or using someones ideas for the unique cake shape. I don't have any problems with that. That's how people improve and evolve their skills.

The cakes that I am talking about are the actual cakes by the same persons with no changes, that are being toted from cake show to cake show. I have seen several within the 4 cakes shows I have been to. icon_eek.gif Can you imagine how many I will see if I keep attending cake shows... icon_sad.gif

dchockeyguy Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturepixie

I think all cake shows should use that rule. icon_smile.gif

I can understand someone different trying to do the same tecniques as another cake or using someones ideas for the unique cake shape. I don't have any problems with that. That's how people improve and evolve their skills.

The cakes that I am talking about are the actual cakes by the same persons with no changes, that are being toted from cake show to cake show. I have seen several within the 4 cakes shows I have been to. icon_eek.gif Can you imagine how many I will see if I keep attending cake shows... icon_sad.gif

There are a few answers to this, honestly (this is coming from someone who helps run a cake show). The biggest problem is that people have no idea what cakes were entered in what show. For example, there was a show in Austin last weekend, but no one from our show went there. How are we going to know if someone entered a cake there, then brought it to our show? We don't really.

However, our show does specifically state that a cake which has won in another show cannot be entered in our show, except in our "Winner's Circle" category, which you don't pay for and is only used to show off winning cakes; they are not judged nor can they win anything.

Sometimes, people do the same cake but make it over again. I've done that. I made a cake for a show last year, and I really liked the design. I wanted to use it for another show. However, instead of just submitting the same cake again, I re-did the cake with pretty much the same design, but took into account the feedback from the judges at the previous show. And, as you'd expect, this time I placed higher. So some people may have thought I entered the same cake, but I didn't.

sweeteats0919 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 12:52pm
post #5 of 6

I have seen this a million times. I go to a show in a neighboring state and then a few months later go to a show in my state and alot of the cakes are the same. Plus alot the cake I know have already won! For me the fun of entering a show is coming up with a new deisgn thats challenging and unique. I don't really think there is anything you can do about it because like dchockeyguy said there is no way to really police the issue. I would just make your cake and be happy with it and try not to let it bother you. I know it can be a little bothersome but its just part of going to shows.

thallo Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 1:16pm
post #6 of 6

Most cake shows have a clause in the Rules and Registration sections that states that the entry should be original and should not have been entered into any other show. That is the case in our show here in the Panhandle Cake Show.

Having said that , it is really hard to keep up with what was at other shows - especially as the shows are pretty much back-to-back. The fact that our show in themed (this year was "Back to the 60s) helps with this, but certainly does not eliminate it.

Having judges who are on top of what is going on really helps as Originality is one of the major point areas. It doesn't stop the repeat entries, but it can help with the scoring of these entries.

Having said that, we have a couple of people who enter each year and consistantly show the same style. They do not seem to understand why they don't win or place. That is life.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%