Copy Right

Business By rntyler Updated 3 Mar 2011 , 3:27pm by Sorelle

rntyler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rntyler Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 13

Do you have to get permisson to do a character cake if you do it from your head no character pan involved I get requests for these all the time for bday party if you do are there any fees involved

12 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 13

If you do a copyrighted character and someone can look at it and say "hey that's so and so" then yes, you need permission. Changing little things like a color or a hair bow doesn't make it okay, either. If it's recognizable you need to get the owner's permission.

rntyler Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 12:10am
post #3 of 13

how do you go about it and is there a fee for it.?

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 12:21am
post #4 of 13

You'd have to contact the PR department that handles the character and the fee varies. If you are thinking something like Disney/Nickelodeon forget about it... the fees will be through the roof and they just don't give permissions. Smaller lesser known things might be easier/cheaper.

The only way to (economically) do it is to use the decopac kits like the grocery store does or just make a cake to coordinate with the theme and have them place toys on it.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 12:23am
post #5 of 13

You have to contact the company that makes the character that you want to make and they'll let you know if you can. If it's Disney then it'll never happen as they are very protective of their property.

ht h

rntyler Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 12:40pm
post #6 of 13

So if you go down to Walmart and buy a cake kit from the bakery is that ok and just do your own design[/i][/quote]

rntyler Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 12:42pm
post #7 of 13

So if you go down to Walmart and buy a cake kit from the bakery is that ok and just do your own design[/i][/quote]

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 12:57pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rntyler

So if you go down to Walmart and buy a cake kit from the bakery is that ok and just do your own design[/i]

[/quote]
Technically no, the cake kits are sold by the distributer (bakery crafts and decopac) to be used as shown in the picture provided with the kit. If you want to do you're own design i suggest you go to the toy isle instead.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 1:05pm
post #9 of 13

I am just a hobbyist, but I have done a few cakes that I have placed purchased toys/figures on. I figure if the company is making money from the figures I bought, they can't complain.

rntyler Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 1:16pm
post #10 of 13

So for now on I will use toys that no fun though but you do what you gotta do right

rntyler Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 1:17pm
post #11 of 13

So for now on I will use toys that no fun though but you do what you gotta do right

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 3:00pm
post #12 of 13

Yup... it is what it is. You can have a ton of fun making a cake to go with the toys though. Use your imagination... an ogre hut and swamp scene to place Shrek toys on... a rainbow to place Care Bears toys on... it doesn't have to be boring.

icon_biggrin.gif

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 3:27pm
post #13 of 13

I just made a "Toy Story" cake and was totally bummed to have to buy toys for the cake. It turned out better than I thought, and the cost of the toys was just passed on to the client. Probably saved me hours, maybe days, of gum paste work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%