Brushes

Decorating By JustGettinStarted Updated 3 Mar 2011 , 3:23pm by shaibaer

JustGettinStarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustGettinStarted Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 1:11pm
post #1 of 17

What kind of brushes do you use to apply dusts, paint, or anything else you do on your cakes? I have the basic Wilton ones, but they are so stiff I only use them for gluing fondant on. I also have 2 fine hair type ones my local cake supply store sold me and they are terrible! The hairs fall out all over my cakes and I spend at least an hour picking hairs off...not good. So, what food safe brushes do you buy and where can I get them?

TIA!

16 replies
Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 1:41pm
post #2 of 17

Try going to Lowes Hardware and selecting some brushes from the painting section.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 1:47pm
post #3 of 17

Get some good brushes in the art department of the craft store. Michaels and Hobby Lobby have them on sale all the time.

PistachioCranberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PistachioCranberry Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 1:55pm
post #4 of 17

Which bristles are the best for painting?

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 2:14pm
post #5 of 17

I bought some crayola brand brushes that have hard plastic handles, they are so nice and they come in a range of sizes. I love them because I can put them in the dishwasher or soak them to get all of the color out. You can't do that with wooden handles or they will start to chip. I just went to look for them on their site and I cannot find them. They have the no roll handles, triangular shaped so that they won't roll around.

Tclanton Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 2:31pm
post #6 of 17

I dont put any of my brushes in the dishwasher. Between the hot water and drying cyle I dont trust either of them. I just put them into warm soapy water, rinse, and lay flat to dry - wooden and plastic handles. Paint brushes are kind of like a good wine, you get what you pay for. When you say painting - do you mean brushing on petal dust, or actually painting on fondant?

PistachioCranberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PistachioCranberry Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 2:35pm
post #7 of 17

Actual painting on fondant. I know there are different types, but wasn't sure which "hair" to go with. I have bought brushes before, but didn't like them for painting. I want to buy the right brushes now since I want to paint on a cake this month.

JustGettinStarted Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 3:03pm
post #8 of 17

Personally I mostly mean to put dust on

jamiekwebb Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 3:44pm
post #9 of 17

I don't use the dry cycle on my dishwasher so that helps. I have three kids under 5 so the dishwasher is the most convenient for me......

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 4:15pm
post #10 of 17

I buy the art brushes from Michaels for stuff. They are dedicated to just cake stuff. When I use them with airbrush colors I just cleaning them with a little dish soap.

For dusts, I have some brushes that just stay that color, others you can clean the dusts out of the bristles with cornstarch.

JustGettinStarted Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 5:42pm
post #11 of 17

TexasSugar, what kind are they? Gere are so many options. I went today and was.overwhelmed. Do you get natural, synthetic, what? I ended up getting a small pack of crayola just because I have no idea.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 6:52pm
post #12 of 17

Most of the ones I get are plastic sorta see through handles, with light orange colored bristles. I know that doesn't say much about what kind they are. I really haven't paid much attention to the bristle type and can't remember the brand off the top of my head.

I like the package of like 6 or 8 in different sizes and that have angles in them as well. They aren't the most expensive, but aren't really the cheapest either. They don't lose bristle, which is a plus for me. Clean well, and if you leave them laying on the cabinet and they end up getting a little water around them, the paint on the handle doesn't peel of.

Tclanton Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 8:15pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiekwebb

I don't use the dry cycle on my dishwasher so that helps. I have three kids under 5 so the dishwasher is the most convenient for me......

Three children under five - wow, you do have your hands full!!! (I would use it too - LOL!!) Mine are grown, so I have a little more time on my hands.

jamiekwebb Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 10:31pm
post #14 of 17

Yeah i do, the oldest two are boys and the baby (5 months) is a girl!!! I do have my hands full and I am tellin' you the boys are like little tornados, they destroy everything.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 10:43pm
post #15 of 17

Sable if you can afford them, imitation sable if you can't. A good art supply store carries both.

Tclanton Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 1:17pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiekwebb

Yeah i do, the oldest two are boys and the baby (5 months) is a girl!!! I do have my hands full and I am tellin' you the boys are like little tornados, they destroy everything.

One day they will be all grown and you will wish you had these days back. Enjoy every minute - they grow up so fast. My two boys will be 22 and 21 this year. Wish I had the days your going through back often.

And for you to have time to do cakes with all this - wow!!! That is awesome!!

shaibaer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaibaer Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 3:23pm
post #17 of 17

I use quality sable brushes, hand washed with soap and warm water and then rinsed in cold water, shaped and then air dried. If you rinse in hot water, your brushes will go fuzzy and lose their definition. I prefer to dry mine standing in a cup (bristles up), but have been known to lay them on a towel. Don't stand your brushes bristles down, even in a water cup when you are working with them... this shortens the life of your brush considerably.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%