Flavoring Mff Or Mmf

Baking By shaekae81 Updated 3 Mar 2011 , 3:29pm by shaekae81

shaekae81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaekae81 Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 12:33pm
post #1 of 9

I have read a few posts about this, but mainly what I read is "don't try it" not an "I have tried it and it did/didn't work"...

Soooo, thought I'd ask it like this: Has anyone tried to used flavored jello in place of the unflavored gelatin for MFF? Were you sucessfull? I know that a 3 oz box of flavored jello has the same amount of gelatin as 1 envelope of knox unflavored...so I would keep that in mind when substituting.

Also, has anyone ever tried to add koolaid mix (not the premade with sugar) to MMF with sucess? I don't see why this one would have any issues. I would disolve the packet into the 3 tbsp of water that is melted with the marshmallows to avoid clumps of flavor/color in the finished fondant.

8 replies
chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 12:41pm
post #2 of 9

i've never used anything other than mmf when making it from scratch. i don't see why this wouldnt work. dissolving the koolaid in the water before melting the marshmallows. maybe someone else has some advice or another idea on how to do so...

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 9:09pm
post #3 of 9

I would try it! You could do a 1/3 batch of MFF so you use less ingredients for a test batch! If it doesn't work then I bet it could still be used for something! icon_smile.gif

I have used MFF a lot and if you know the gelatin content then I don't see why it would be a problem - it has granulated sugar in it, but it gets dissolved in liquid anyway - though it is not a lot of liquid so you need to make sure it dissolves well.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 9:16pm
post #4 of 9
AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 11:19pm
post #5 of 9

I've only made MMF and you can use Jello or kool aid to help flavor and color the mmf. if you just want to flavor it, you can use extracts or oils to flavor it pretty much any flavor you like - The endless possibilities!

When using Jello or Kool Aid, be sure to melt it really well into the melted marshmallows or else it gets grainy.

shaekae81 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 9:25am
post #6 of 9

thanks everyone for your responses icon_smile.gif

Renaejrk - I think you're right...plus - the MFF recipe has you strain the liquid gelatin anyway, so anything that didn't desolve would be strained out!

Imagenthatnj - Thank you for those links! Awesome info there!!! icon_smile.gif

angelFood4 - is that your blog that is linked above? If so THANK YOU for all the wonderful info, tips and hints!

shaekae81 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 9:36am
post #7 of 9

Oh - another thought...for the Jell-O added to the MMF....if you (or your customer) don't mind the flavor of artificial sweetners, the sugar free jello is not as grainy...just a thought...nothing tried or true here icon_wink.gif

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 3:22pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaekae81

Oh - another thought...for the Jell-O added to the MMF....if you (or your customer) don't mind the flavor of artificial sweetners, the sugar free jello is not as grainy...just a thought...nothing tried or true here icon_wink.gif

Good to know! I have to try it and see how much it affects the flavor. I love the taste and smell of MMF made with regular strawberry Jello. Yes, that is my blog referenced above by imagenthatnj - Thanks Doris for the reference!

shaekae81 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 3:29pm
post #9 of 9

I am getting ready to make the MMF with strawberry Jell-O...can't wait to taste it....going on a Vanilla Butter cake with strawberry BC...for a Strawberry Shortcake cake...so excited to do this one!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%