What's The Best Way To Approach The People On This Cake???

Decorating By princesscatt Updated 26 May 2011 , 12:55am by princesscatt

princesscatt Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 3:12am
post #1 of 27

Got a request to make a zombie wedding cake. The picture the bride sent me is just for reference on the actual zombies. I normally make my people out of fondant and gumpaste but these guys look pretty good...what would be the best way to get the realistic look? Should I use a mold?

http://technabob.com/blog/2009/11/03/zombie-wedding-cake/

26 replies
Renaejrk Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 5:38am
post #2 of 27

I personally would use a mold, but I can't sculpt faces yet to save my life! If you want them really detailed and that is not your strong suit, I would definitely use molds.

princesscatt Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 12:09pm
post #3 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaejrk

I personally would use a mold, but I can't sculpt faces yet to save my life! If you want them really detailed and that is not your strong suit, I would definitely use molds.

I can make characters but they all look cartoons and I would like to make them more real like the picture.... Can you use modeling chocolate in a mold? I've never used it before...or do you have to use strictly fondant or gumpaste??

Renaejrk Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 8:40pm
post #4 of 27

Yes, you can use modeling chocolate but I use powdered sugar to make sure it doesn't stick, and make sure it is not too warm. It may be more difficult in molds than gumpaste or fondant, but it is doable!

LisaPeps Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 9:01pm
post #5 of 27

When using Modelling chocolate in a mold make sure you freeze it before you attempt to take it out of the mold. If you don't the heat of your hands and the texture of the chocolate means you won't get it without skewing it.

Renaejrk Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 9:13pm
post #6 of 27

Yes! That is a great tip - didn't even think about it!

infinitsky Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 9:41pm
post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaPeps

When using Modelling chocolate in a mold make sure you freeze it before you attempt to take it out of the mold. If you don't the heat of your hands and the texture of the chocolate means you won't get it without skewing it.

I was just surfing on CC while having a coffee, and I learned something new.

Thank you for the tip! icon_smile.gif

princesscatt Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 6:55pm
post #8 of 27

Great tips!! Thank you...anyone have a good recipe for modeling choc?? I can't wait to try this out!!

princesscatt Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 1:23am
post #10 of 27
Quote:

Thanks...the wedding is in May so i'm going to try this out now just to be sure I have it perfect!

chefgurl Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 10:34am
post #11 of 27

Does anyone know where to get realistic looking face molds from that wont cost me an arm and a leg?

princesscatt Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 11:20am
post #12 of 27

Try sugarcraft

TheCakeMomMO Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 5:30am
post #13 of 27

Here is a link to a cake made similar to the one your customer wants.
http://photographicbaking.blogspot.com/2010/05/zombie-wedding-cake-part-2.html

Mike's Amazing Cakes made the original in your photo.

TheCakeMomMO Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 5:43am
post #14 of 27

Here is a link to a cake made similar to the one your customer wants.
http://photographicbaking.blogspot.com/2010/05/zombie-wedding-cake-part-2.html

Mike's Amazing Cakes made the original in your photo.

LeeBD Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 2:11am
post #15 of 27

Lots of places sell molds. Best thing to do is google Silicone or Resin fondant or gumpaste molds. You will def find some places to order them from.

princesscatt Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 11:39am
post #16 of 27
Quote:

Made the recipe, it worked out great. Only one problem...my hands are like little heaters!!! LOL I'm glad I did buy the molds so I don't have to handle it too much!! Is there anyway to correct this or help it along...other than wrapping my hands in ice packs? LOL

LisaPeps Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 4:48pm
post #17 of 27

Have some ice water to put your hands in, dry them off and carry on working. Important to dry them as chocolate and water don't mix.

WykdGud Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 4:59pm
post #18 of 27

The figurines in that photo are made of clay. The best clay molds I have seen are made by Patricia Rose - she sells online and on ebay, and I think she makes molds of 5" male and female figures (or she did the last time I looked) - her molds are around $30 or so I think. Using clay gives you time to perfect the figures without risk of drying/cracking, etc. and is much easier to work with because you don't have to worry about the heat of your hands. The couple would also have some keepsakes after the wedding.

jeaner Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 5:13pm
post #19 of 27

You can mix modeling chocolate with gumpaste (50/50) and it is easier to work with if you have warm hands.

princesscatt Posted 22 May 2011 , 9:08pm
post #20 of 27

Made the cake...the bride loved it!!! Posted the pics in my photos...thanks for all the advice and tips!!

DeniseNH Posted 22 May 2011 , 9:20pm
post #21 of 27

Sorry, but there's no way I'd accept that order. Gross.

princesscatt Posted 25 May 2011 , 1:43am
post #22 of 27

I guess everyone has their opinion, they were really into zombies so they wanted them on the cake. I would never tell anyone that their idea was bad or gross. She was happy and that's all that matters.

AnotherCaker Posted 25 May 2011 , 1:56am
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseNH

I know right?? Brides dragging their grooms over an edible image plastered wedding cake is way cooler and the world needs more of them. Excellent zombie wedding, the cool kids get to work on those kind of cakes! thumbs_up.gif

LisaPeps Posted 25 May 2011 , 8:25am
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCaker

Quote:

I know right?? Brides dragging their grooms over an edible image plastered wedding cake is way cooler and the world needs more of them. Excellent zombie wedding, the cool kids get to work on those kind of cakes! thumbs_up.gif

Lol love it! Give me the zombie cake anyday!

Glad the couple liked it, you did a great job on the figures icon_smile.gif

sillyoldpoohbear Posted 25 May 2011 , 10:12am
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaPeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCaker

Quote:

Lol love it! Give me the zombie cake anyday!

I totally agree. I can't stand those brides dragging grooms, so tacky. I was "grossed out" to have to put one of those on my beautiful cake, but it was what the bride wanted.

Give me a bride with an imagination anyday over that icon_lol.gif

seedrv Posted 25 May 2011 , 11:40am
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesscatt

Made the cake...the bride loved it!!! Posted the pics in my photos...thanks for all the advice and tips!!

Your figures turned out great. I was going to tell you that f o n d a n t s o u r c e . com has a PME family mould (4 figures) for $40 (plus %10 off if you type CakeCentral in the coupon field) but I don't think you need it!

princesscatt Posted 26 May 2011 , 12:55am
post #27 of 27

Thanks girls! Keep on caking!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%