Magic Cupboard Baby Bag Cake

Decorating By jessiq Updated 2 Mar 2011 , 8:39pm by Renaejrk

jessiq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessiq Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 11:59pm
post #1 of 4

I LOVE her cake! The tutorial is great! Except I not know why but I just can't get the directions for stacking the cake to sink in.

"For a small diaper bag, bake two 10 x 3 in square cakes. Cut each cake in half horizontally. The base of the bag needs to be the largest. So from one 10 in sq., cut off about 3 or 4 in. for a 6 or 7 x 10 inch. cake. Adhere the base layer to the drum or foamcore board with buttercream and then cover that layer with buttercream to fill. The buttercream should be kept a little thicker for filling when doing carved cakes. Add the next layer of the 6×10 inch cake to the base layer, and cover it with buttercream.
Cut the other 10 in square cake in half straight down the middle and put one layer on top of the base cake. You now have three layers of cake and two layers of filling. Dowel the cake towards the center, since it will be carved at an angle. Cover a small rectangle of cardboard in contact paper, making sure the rectangle just fits on top of the dowels rather than to the edge of the cake, again since it will be carved at an angle. Ahere the board to the cake with buttercream. Repeat the above steps with the last three layers. You should have three layers of cake with two layers of filling, then cardboard, which acts as the base for the second stack of three cake layers of cake with two layers of filling. Drive a central dowel through the center of the cake into the base drum or foamcore board. Refrigerate until set, approximately 1 hour."

That is off her site. So this is what I imagine... 2 7x10 then 1 5x10 - cardboard- 2 7x10 then 1 5x10. (I know she says 6-7x10 for that base layer)
Also you would have 2 pieces of 5x10 cake left (and scraps from the first cut)
is that right?

3 replies
Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 2:34am
post #2 of 4

Don't forget the cakes were cut horizontally, so instead of being 3" tall you will have 2 6-7 x 10 x 1.5 pieces, and 4 5 x 10 x 1.5 pieces, and what you cut off the first one left over you won't use (2 3-4 x 10 x 1.5).

1 6-7 x 10 x 1.5, then 1 6-7 x 10 x 1.5, then 1 5 x 10 x 1.5 - cardboard - 1 5 x 10 x 1.5, then 1 5 x 10 x 1.5, then 1 5 x 10 x 1.5 With filling between each 1.5 tall layer.

jessiq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessiq Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 2:59pm
post #3 of 4

So the top 3 layer are all 5x10x1.5. See that is were I was confused. Thank you!

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 8:39pm
post #4 of 4

Yes - there are four of those total but after you put the first 5" wide layer you put the cardboard in for support, then the other three of those. That way you have enough to carve I bet! Good luck - sounds like fun! I have made a couple of purses before and I really liked them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%