Ugly Fondant

Decorating By connie1220 Updated 2 Mar 2011 , 4:36am by Kristie925

connie1220 Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 10:34pm
post #1 of 6

HELP ASAP!! Can I put a thin layer of fondant over a cake that already has a thin layer on it. It has a 1" tear that I can not cover and looks UGLY!! Will it WORK?
I don't want to take off the fondant because I am scared it will ruin the cake.
Thank you,
Connie

5 replies
cake_architect Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 10:41pm
post #2 of 6

i think you could do it, just be sure and patch up the tear first otherwise it'll show through like a scar

BrindysBackyard Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 10:48pm
post #3 of 6

yse, patch the tear and then brush a little water on the fondant you are covering up so it will stick and not slide around

sugardugar Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 4:02am
post #4 of 6

the above advice is what i would advise...patch then cover if you wish.

i'd like to try to help with the real issue tho - you have a tear ack!

i had this always happen when i first started using fondant...which was recently.

i think the keyword you used here is "thin". that was my problem. i just didn't get it. turns out my fondant was just far too thin. it has to be wayyy thicker than i ever expected - this allows you to stretch it around a little, if that makes sense, without it tearing as it has plenty of room to thin out as you pull. icon_smile.gif

also...when i do mess up my fondant, i remove it. wipe away your crumbs and just knead any BC into the fondant - it doesn't seem to change it at all.

also, make sure it isn't too dry.

hope everything worked out!!

Sorelle Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 4:27am
post #5 of 6

I patch using fondant that has been heated in microwave til it is like a paste then I use it like spackle. I saw cake boss do this and I've used it a couple times, works good but the patch is shinier than the other fondant.

Kristie925 Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 4:36am
post #6 of 6

I saw Duff on Ace of Cakes use royal icing the same color as the fondant and basically spackle the crack. They showed before and after pics and it was amazing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%