Using Alcohol In Cake

Decorating By TiffySue Updated 2 Mar 2011 , 3:15pm by dchockeyguy

TiffySue Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 9:12pm
post #1 of 4

I'm trying out some new things, and currently trying to add my favorite alcoholic beverage - Wyders hard raspberry cider for a little extra flavor. I have no idea the science behind baking alcohol and wondering if this is something I would allow my children to eat, or if all the alcohol bakes out?? Any tips are appreciated.

thank you!

3 replies
TexasSugar Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 4

I've added alcohol to cake mixes with out a problem. But I have no idea about scratch baking.

In my case I have had kids eat some of the cakes with alcohol in them. I always let their parents know, but with the amount you add, there is a small amount per serving and some of the alcohol bakes out.

scp1127 Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 2:22pm
post #3 of 4

I bake with alcohol, but I normally try to incorporate the alcohol by brushing it on the layers, adding it to fillings or ganache, and adding it to the icing. You can sub the alcohol for a portion of the liquid, but don't lessen the fat. My suggestion is to find a recipe that has another similar spirit in it and substitute. For example, one that uses stout, beer, or apple cider. That will help to keep the balance. You can also reduce the cider by simmering it until it is half in volume. That will up the flavor concentration. Pure raspberry extract would be a great compliment to the flavor.

If you reduce it or cook it, much of the actual alcohol will evaporate. Kids can eat it, but they rarely like alcohol infused desserts. And to give a comparison, vanilla extract is 70 proof, or35%, by law.

dchockeyguy Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 3:15pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagunts

I'm trying out some new things, and currently trying to add my favorite alcoholic beverage - Wyders hard raspberry cider for a little extra flavor. I have no idea the science behind baking alcohol and wondering if this is something I would allow my children to eat, or if all the alcohol bakes out?? Any tips are appreciated.

thank you!

Most, but not all, of the alcohol will cook out. It's safe for kids though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%