Ganache Under Fondant

Decorating By goa11ie Updated 3 Mar 2011 , 2:00am by lesgateaux

goa11ie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goa11ie Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 6

Hey everyone out there in Cake Central Land...

I am due to make a boston cream cake, and instead of chocolate buttercream on the cake, I wanted to be ambitious and make the traditional ganache frosting. But I am fondanting this cake as well...

I do best by visuals and I have yet to find a video or step-by-step tutorial of using ganache under fondant. Here are my questions:

- The recipe I use is simple: 8 oz chocolate to 1 cup heavy cream. Is that an OK recipe or should I use something different?

-I know that ganache is typically runny after it has been made and cooled slightly. When would I "frost" the cake? While the ganache is still warm, a few hours later, or a day later? If its a day later, what is the consistency like? I think cooled chocolate=hard mess.

- How do I smooth it out? The hot knife method?

- How do you get the fondant to stick to the ganache once its on?

Thanks guys...even though this cake is for my sister and not a client, I've put in a ton of hours and I don't want to mess up icon_surprised.gif

- Sarah icon_rolleyes.gif

5 replies
AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 9:17pm
post #2 of 6

Search "ganache" and many threads will come up. thumbs_up.gif

goa11ie Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 11:12pm
post #3 of 6

yeah, I had done that before, but didn't get many results. Then I did a search in Google for the bagillionth time, and more posts came up from CC. Now I know what to do...I think! icon_smile.gif

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 3:55am
post #4 of 6

hey there i made this thread a few weeks ago and got some great advise, hth!

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-709519.html

goa11ie Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 2:12pm
post #5 of 6

excellent! thank you so much...i also liked the visual with the website towards the end of the forum thread....thanks again icon_smile.gif

lesgateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lesgateaux Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 2:00am
post #6 of 6

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%