Sweetex ...high Ratio Shortening

Decorating By KATHIESKREATIONS Updated 14 Mar 2011 , 3:26pm by KATHIESKREATIONS

KATHIESKREATIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 21

Hi everyone! I have been considering purchasing SWEETEX, the high ration shortening & was wondering if anyone in the Ellicott City, Maryland area would want to go in with me to buy it. It only comes in a 50 LB case, which is way too much for my use, & is $93.03. Thanks much~~~

20 replies
FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 21

Global Sugar Art sells it in a 12 lb box. HTH.

KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 21

Thanks for the info. thumbs_up.gif I just went to them & they are out of stock. They do sell it in a 12 LB box & it is $35.00 plus shipping & tax.

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 10:21pm
post #4 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullHouse

sells it in a 12 lb box. HTH.

Right now they are out of stock...I've been searching as well to purchase it.

kdbohm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdbohm Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 10:23pm
post #5 of 21

I purchased some a while ago and only bought 2 lbs of it. I can't remember off the top of my head which site it was, but I wouldn't use that much as well! I can look at it to see which site I found it.

I did try my go to frosting recipe with the sweetex and honestly, I didn't notice any difference between using the sweetex or crisco.

KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 10:41pm
post #6 of 21

Honestly, I was just switching because I opened a 6LB can of Crisco a few weeks ago, took out about 2 cups & then yesterday when I went to use it, there in the center was about 1/3 cup of oil that had separated. Never had that happen before. The Crisco was not bad or anything...just separated. icon_sad.gif

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 10:48pm
post #7 of 21

Country Kitchen SA sells 3 lb buckets of CK Products hi ratio for $8.15 + shipping. I've used that as well with good results. If you have an EIN you can order direct from ckproducts for wholesale prices but they have a $125 order minimum ($125 can be on any products though and not difficult to hit that amount when shopping for cake toys).

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?productId=619115

platinumlady Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 10:50pm
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by KATHIESKREATIONS

Honestly, I was just switching because I opened a 6LB can of Crisco a few weeks ago, took out about 2 cups & then yesterday when I went to use it, there in the center was about 1/3 cup of oil that had separated. Never had that happen before. The Crisco was not bad or anything...just separated. icon_sad.gif

Where did you store the Crisco? There was one weekend where I was baking non stop & I had it store in the cabinet above..but to the right of the oven & that happened to me. I changed the place I store it now because I didn't know that it was that sensitive to heat.

I am looking to switch because of the quality... I want to make the best possible tasting BC that I can.

kdbohm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdbohm Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 10:56pm
post #9 of 21

I actually haven't used the rest of the sweetex I ordered. I just whip the crisco for a while and then add the butter and whip it until almost white...again, never noticed a difference between the two.

KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 12:18am
post #10 of 21

[quote="platinumlady
Where did you store the Crisco? There was one weekend where I was baking non stop & I had it store in the cabinet above..but to the right of the oven & that happened to me. I changed the place I store it now because I didn't know that it was that sensitive to heat.

I am looking to switch because of the quality... I want to make the best possible tasting BC that I can.[/quote]

I store my Crisco in my pantry which is no where near heat. I have found that now that Crisco changed & took out the trans fats, my icing is greasier & does not hold up as well in warmer weather. I have read different opinions about Crisco vs Sweetex...guess I just need to try the Sweetex & decide for myself. I use Indy's & Sugarshak's icings...love them both....

platinumlady Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 12:27am
post #11 of 21

I have found that now that Crisco changed & took out the trans fats, my icing is greasier & does not hold up as well in warmer weather. [/quote]

I did not know this. How long ago did they change it? I know I've had to alter my icing recipe but thought it was me. I am making a cake this weekend & going to use indydebi recipe as well. I've heard rave reviews on it.

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 12:44am
post #12 of 21

If you are going to order Sweetex, now is the time to buy it. If you wait too long a lot of suppliers will not ship because of heat. Also consider buying the larger quantity and divide it up by what your recipe uses, then freeze it.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 12:54am
post #13 of 21

Kathie, Im on the Eastern Shore. I buy mine either from Global up until May or I buy it from Jennifer Dontz during the summer months. She will put it in bags for me and ship it out and Ive had no problems with it melting or anything. I get it in two days (she's in Michigan).
I was using Crisco or the store brand and I can tell you that once you try Sweetex, you wont look back! It tastes sooooo much better!! I tried to recreate my recipe for my mom back in CT and didnt have Sweetex and I could tell the difference BIG TIME!!
But I will be ordering on Friday so if you still want to go in with someone on a 50lb, I will. We will just have to figure a place to meet halfway!!

KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 1:41am
post #14 of 21

Thanks, weirkd, I just PM'd you with some information. icon_smile.gif

KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 1:50am
post #15 of 21

Madmillie, thank you for the tip. I did not know you could freeze the Sweetex...good to know.

Platinumlady, they changed it a while ago. Some people have said they haven't had any problems or just had to adjust their recipes. I know I found it to cause some problems. Indydebi's recipe for her buttercream is fantastic. I will use it, but substitute the Crisco out with the Sweetex. I believe Sugarshack's recipe calls for Sweetex & her's is good too!!

platinumlady Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 2:15am
post #16 of 21

sorry for all the questions... but I have one more how long will the 50lbs last. I'm having a hard time picturing it. Should I order 2 50lb order to get thru the summer months (haven't found a local place yet)

KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 5:22pm
post #17 of 21

Madmilli said that you can freeze it. I had never heard of this, but good to know. I just ordered mine from a local place so I don't have to have it shipped....yay, no shipping costs! thumbs_up.gif I will be checking with them about it when I pick up my Sweetex & can let you know what they say.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 5:51pm
post #18 of 21

I get mine locally from Sysco, for about $65 for a 50 lb box. I guess I probably go through 2-3 boxes per year, but it keeps just fine for that time. If you get it locally like this, it is actually cheaper than Crisco, and TONS better.

If you have a Sysco, you just have to set up an account with them. But my local rep is super nice and he actually brings my Sweetex to my front door!!!!! when he is in the area doing his rounds. Awesome.

platinumlady Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 6:07pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I get mine locally from Sysco, for about $65 for a 50 lb box. I guess I probably go through 2-3 boxes per year, but it keeps just fine for that time. If you get it locally like this, it is actually cheaper than Crisco, and TONS better.

If you have a Sysco, you just have to set up an account with them. But my local rep is super nice and he actually brings my Sweetex to my front door!!!!! when he is in the area doing his rounds. Awesome.

Thanks,
Does it depend on location on whether or not Sysco carries it. I was on the website & didn't find it in the search. I would rather get it locally instead of having it shipped. I'll keep searching

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 6:08pm
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Thanks,
Does it depend on location on whether or not Sysco carries it. I was on the website & didn't find it in the search. I would rather get it locally instead of having it shipped. I'll keep searching

I don't think its on the website...you'll have to call your local rep and ask if they carry it, I think. That's what I ended up doing. I'm pretty sure they'll be able to get it for you, though.

KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 3:26pm
post #21 of 21

FYI~~~I just received my order of Sweetex & was able to split it with another CCer thank heaven. 50 lbs was a lot for just me! Madmilli had posted here that you can freeze this, which would be fantastic for people who don't use this a lot, but, I contacted the company who makes the Sweetex, Stratas Foods, & they informed me do not freeze it as its components can break down, however, the shelf life is 1 year. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%