What Commercial Mixers Are Best?

Business By Camille161 Updated 3 Mar 2011 , 4:53am by itsacake

Camille161 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Camille161 Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 5:39pm
post #1 of 9

I opened my bakery almost 2 months ago and we have grown fast. I've been using 2 kitchen aide mixers (one is mine and one is my mom's) but they just aren't big enough. I'm lucky enough that I got grant money from the city to buy new mixers!!!! icon_biggrin.gif Now my problem is... which mixers should I buy? I'm looking at a 10 quart and a 20 quart. I have $3200 to spend on them. Thanks for your advice!
Camille

8 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 11:55pm
post #2 of 9

20 quart! 20 quart! 20 quart! You shouldn't be thinking about anything smaller if you have a retail business. Actually, you need a 30 quart, but that wasn't one of our choices... Bigger is definitely better and you won't be sorry.

ChellyQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChellyQ Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 12:05am
post #3 of 9

Hi Camillle CONGRADULATION on he opeing of your new bakery.
question in regards to the grant i liv in CT. Tell me were can i go to find out if i can apply for one. any help would be welcome. Thanks Michelle
GoodLuck icon_smile.gif

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 1:20am
post #4 of 9

Hbart makes a great 20 quart mixer. I do not own one, but I used one at my first pastry shop job. It was a real workhorse!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 1:31am
post #5 of 9

Hobart's the gold standard. Every other brand compares itself to Hobart.

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 2:01am
post #6 of 9

yes, I third that motion...Hobart is the best, it may be worth it to look into buying a used one,less costly.

Camille161 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Camille161 Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 4:52pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks everyone! I was thinking used Hobart also. I actually just went to the economic development committee with the city that I live in and filled out an application. Then I had to go to a meeting and tell them what I did and what I needed the money for. The approved me for half grant and half low interest loan but I went with just the grant because we are a debt free business and I want to keep it that way! The only thing I have to do is hire a full time employee by April, which is no problem because I just hired my second part time employee, which adds up to a full time. Check with your city to see if they have a similar program.

ChellyQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChellyQ Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 6:23pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks Camille. I will do so. Thank You again.

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 4:53am
post #9 of 9

I really like my Univex 20 quart. I used a 30 quart when I was renting space. It was really heavy to lift that 30 quart bowl when it was full. The 20 quart is much easier to handle. The Univex has variable speed so you can speed up or slow down a smidge, rather than a full step. You do have to change speed only when the machine is working, which, if I remember correctly might be opposite of Hobart?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%