Need Fondant Advice

Decorating By hbasea Updated 1 Mar 2011 , 7:17pm by ninatat

hbasea Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 4

I have had such good luck with my fondant lately (make my own MMF with fluff not melting) but this last one just flopped. I would love some pointers on what I did wrong, how to fix it. I could not for the life of me get the smooth sides and sharp lines that I can usually get on a round with no problem, it was bumpy and lumpy all over.

It is a chocolate cake with a scratch buttercream icing, in the fridge for an hour to firm up. The cake was pretty firm, but not as firm as my cakes usually are - I tried the Trader Joe's boxed mix and did not even doctor it because I wanted to see what it tasted like. I did throw the fondant in the fridge tightly wrapped in plastic for about half an hour to let it firm up.

What causes fondant to get bumpy like that? The cake underneath was smooth, but I could not get the fondant to smooth out. Maybe it was too thin/soft/??

Piano failure:

Good example of usual outcome:

Side note: I made it shiny on purpose when I was done by rubbing crisco on it, I wanted the glossy wood effect that my dad's piano has

3 replies
cakeyouverymuch Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 4

Did you start with a chocolate fondant, or is that color the result of adding large amounts of brown coloring to it?

hbasea Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 4:44pm
post #3 of 4

Well it was actually supposed to be black, but I got grey and ran out so I added a little of every color I had until I got brown icon_smile.gif I added that to the fluff though, not after I added the powdered sugar, so I still had a good consistency in the end *I think* and it rolled out nicely. I used a fondant gel color

ninatat Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 7:17pm
post #4 of 4

Hi i've found that to much buttercream under the fondant makes it lumpy

Quote by @%username% on %date%