Smbc As A Dam?

Baking By JenLGAJ Updated 1 Mar 2011 , 4:19pm by LindaF144a

JenLGAJ Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 4

I'm new to SMBC. Customer wants a "less-sweet" bc and I was planning to use SMBC. They also want a strawberry filling.
I'm sure sure if SMBC will work as a dam for a fruit filling, given its light and fluffy texture. Usually I use a stiffened standard bc for fillings.

Any advice/tips/thoughts would be much appreciated!

TIA!

Jen

3 replies
imagenthatnj Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 4:09pm
post #2 of 4

I've heard some people add powdered sugar to a little bit of the SMBC to make it firmer for the dam.

I've also heard some people refuse to mix two buttercreams, so they pipe the dam and then put it in the freezer/refrigerator for just a few min, which hardens the dam. I did this once and it worked, but I was afraid all the time!

lilmissbakesalot Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 4:13pm
post #3 of 4

I use SMBC and I use it as is for any dams that I might need. Never fails, and I don't let it harden before I fill it.

LindaF144a Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 4:19pm
post #4 of 4

I don't use PS on SMBC as a dam. I just pipe it in about a scant 1/2" from the edge. Then when I set the cake on top it has room to settle out to the edge. I then wrap the cake tightly in plastic wrap and weight the top for about an hour.

This is not my idea. Leah wrote about it here.

But I guess if you want a thick center with lots of strawberry filling, you want a stiff dam. I usually don't fill a center of a cake with a 1/2" filling, so my technique works fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%