3D-What Do You Charge

Baking By alvarezmom Updated 14 Mar 2011 , 5:01pm by alvarezmom

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 3:38pm
post #1 of 4

I took a class this passed weekend with Susan Carberry. We learned how to make 3d Cookies.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1958118

What do you charge for 3D cookies. "Herbert" is 9 inches long from nose to his back fin. Body is 2 cookies, and his fin is a separate cookie (in all 3 different cookies). He is covered in Satin ice fondant. He also has a candy surprise on the inside....gummy worms! icon_biggrin.gif

A co worker said he would pay $20 for sure but would have to think about paying $25. My husband said $40-$45. I'm at a loss.

3 replies
bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 1:42pm
post #2 of 4

my suggestion is to determine how much it costs to make that cutie, and how much time is involved in making him to determine how much you would sell him for. Then you can decide if it is worth it to make them for what people are willing to pay.

I find that people generally underestimate how much work is involved in decorating cakes and cookies, and many people balk at the prices because they don't understand the time, cost, and skill involved.

Sara789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sara789 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 9:36pm
post #3 of 4

What an adorable fish. You did an excellent job.

$20 seems way too little to me. I was once told that you take the cost of supplies and then tripple it to cover time and skill. I've used that for selling beaded jewelry, but I'm not sure if it would work for baked goods. Some of the stuff we use is relatively inexpensive (i.e. sugar, flour), but the tools and skills cost quite a bit more.

How did you get the width of "Herbert"? And how did you get those nice rounded edges?

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 5:01pm
post #4 of 4

Sorry I wasnt getting notifications..

I was thinking some where around $40. It's a big cookie! icon_smile.gif

Sara-This was the same advice my brother told me. He's in marketing and deals with contracts and he said that rule of thumb is very good in most areas of pricing.

Herberts body was made with using two puffy heart shaped cookies and his tail is another cookie.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%