Decorating On Dummies

Decorating By sugardugar Updated 2 Mar 2011 , 3:44am by sugardugar

sugardugar Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 6

While I'm new to decorating, and even more new to fondant, I have developed a comfort level and can manage to cover my cakes without folds and tears (unless it's tall and skinny but that's for another day icon_smile.gif ).

When it comes to dummies, though, I can't do it. Is there a step in prep that I am missing. It always tears. I can use the most basic 8" x 3" round cake and the fondant just winds up torn to bits. As a result most of my practice cakes need to be covered with designs which just won't do.

I've tried covering my dummies in shortening, piping gel, and BC under the fondant. I roll my fondant very thick. I place over my roller and bring it to my dummy, work as quick as I can, and it's torn to pieces at the seams.

What do you do?

5 replies
CWR41 Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 6

You can buy dummies that are rounded without sharp edges, or sand/smooth them yourself.

TexasSugar Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 6

You have to soften the edges. Depending on what material it is, you can often just press the edges against the table to soften them.

dsilvest Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 6

Softening the edges will definately helpn stop the fondant from tearing. You can sand the edge, rub a rolling pin against it, rub the edge against the counter or evne trim a bit of ehe edge away with scissors.

bellaudreycakes Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 1:33am
post #5 of 6

I just use a little crisco on the dummies and file the edges on top a little and mine cover very easy with mmf. I don't use bc or anything else besides crisco underneath hth.

sugardugar Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 3:44am
post #6 of 6

ha, how obvious and silly of me not to do this anyhow!!!

thanks a ton guys!

Quote by @%username% on %date%