Decorating On Dummies

Decorating By sugardugar Updated 2 Mar 2011 , 3:44am by sugardugar

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 6

While I'm new to decorating, and even more new to fondant, I have developed a comfort level and can manage to cover my cakes without folds and tears (unless it's tall and skinny but that's for another day icon_smile.gif ).

When it comes to dummies, though, I can't do it. Is there a step in prep that I am missing. It always tears. I can use the most basic 8" x 3" round cake and the fondant just winds up torn to bits. As a result most of my practice cakes need to be covered with designs which just won't do.

I've tried covering my dummies in shortening, piping gel, and BC under the fondant. I roll my fondant very thick. I place over my roller and bring it to my dummy, work as quick as I can, and it's torn to pieces at the seams.

What do you do?

5 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 6

You can buy dummies that are rounded without sharp edges, or sand/smooth them yourself.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 6

You have to soften the edges. Depending on what material it is, you can often just press the edges against the table to soften them.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 6

Softening the edges will definately helpn stop the fondant from tearing. You can sand the edge, rub a rolling pin against it, rub the edge against the counter or evne trim a bit of ehe edge away with scissors.

bellaudreycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellaudreycakes Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 1:33am
post #5 of 6

I just use a little crisco on the dummies and file the edges on top a little and mine cover very easy with mmf. I don't use bc or anything else besides crisco underneath hth.

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 3:44am
post #6 of 6

ohhh.

ha, how obvious and silly of me not to do this anyhow!!!

thanks a ton guys!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%