New To Flowers . . .

Decorating By sharlanet Updated 1 Mar 2011 , 5:46pm by NanaSandy

sharlanet Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 4

I've decorated a few cakes now but have never really made flowers before. I'm thinking it's time to try. Is it best to use gumpaste or can I use fondant with tylose mixed in or just plain fondant? What is the best kind of foam to use to thin out the edges of the petals- dense or firm and how thick of foam? Where would be a good place to buy foam? Is it important to buy different kinds of petal cutters? What would be the most basic to start with?

Thanks for any advice you have!

3 replies
mommynana Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 3:18pm
post #2 of 4
Jennifer353 Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 4

I've only ever made roses and although I'm no expert I am now comfortable making them and think they turn out quite well. I've only ever used flower paste sorry I'm not sure what that translates to for you.
I would suggest picking one type of flower for a start and trying to master that one first before moving on to others because I think a lot of the techniques for different flowers are fundamentally similar (although obviously some are more complicated to execute than others).

I use the 5 petal cutter for the roses and in place of foam I use the soft part of the palm of my hand under my thumb... probably not exactly professional but does work.

NanaSandy Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 5:46pm
post #4 of 4

you can buy a foam that is made for flowers at Hobby Lobby. It is a little pink square of foam. I use fondant with tylose powder and it works fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%