Misunderstood Email.... :(

Business By springlakecake Updated 1 Mar 2011 , 7:36pm by springlakecake

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 11

I just got a horrible email from a potential customer! We were emailing back and forth about a cake. It was for a small order, but it was a wedding and she wanted somethng unique. I told her I normally didnt do consultations for smaller cakes (35 servings) but because of the uniqueness of the design I would be willing. I said that it would be easier to discuss in person rather than countless emails. She misunderstood and thought I meant that we had already been emailing "countless" times. It was terrible! I feel really badly and when I went back and reread the email I guess I can see that someone might misinterpret my tone. I just replied and tied to explain best I could. I just hope she doenst go badmouthing me around town. boo

10 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 3:12pm
post #2 of 11

Don't feel bad kiddo, I've had two of those in the past two months. Misinterpreting my tone in an email (when I went back honestly I couldn't figure out what the problem was, nor could anyone else!) and replying to me in a scathing tone. I was worried about them badmouthing me but it's in God's hands and it's not them I need to worry about, it's me badmouthing them that will be worse for my business than anything. At first it really bothered me, but I figure it's all going to work out in the end so I just try to learn from it and move on. Cheer up!! icon_biggrin.gif

Momof5kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof5kiddos Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 3:13pm
post #3 of 11

I feel the same way when i am talking with someone via email, i hope they don't take anything the wrong way. Or I love it when you send them some info and they never respond back to say yeah or nay either way!If someone gets that offended by an email--then shame on them!

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 3:14pm
post #4 of 11

I agree, don't stress! You've explained to her what you meant and that's really all you can do. The only other thing I can think of is if you have her phone number you could try to call to explain. Even if you get voicemail, at least that way she can hear your tone of voice. Unfortunately that's a downside of email and such, things can be so easily misinterpreted. Sorry that happened to you!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 3:19pm
post #5 of 11

The other thing I forgot to mention is that once I got over the initial hurt and shock of it, I was glad that things worked out as they did -- to my mind they were bridezillas in the making and really it was a blessing that they showed their true colors so quickly. Imagine how it would have gone if you were way into the cake already! icon_confused.gificon_rolleyes.gif

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 3:47pm
post #6 of 11

Oh my, that is picking at nits. If she overreacts at the possible misinterpretation of an email, she may not be the bride for you.
I guess it could be misconstrued, but seriously, some people are just looking for ways to get upset. I figure there are enough REAL reasons to get upset, I'll just wait for those....
You apologized, explained yourself. You're done- you never know, she could have been having a really bad day.

springlakecake Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 4:12pm
post #7 of 11

thank you everyone. That makes me feel better. I did call and leave a voicemail also. Though i think I sounded nervous. I think I generally sound more professional and communicate better through email....or so I thought! It is a lesson to me to slow down on the emails and re read before sending them. Maybe less use of exclamation points LOL! I was actually going out of my way for her so that I could really understand what she wanted and she thought I was irritated. Oh well, like you said I did all I can do now. I don't care about the order, I really care about what people think about me and that is what bothers me.

elliegails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliegails Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 4:21pm
post #8 of 11

Jentreu -you said it perfectly!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 4:42pm
post #9 of 11

springlakecake....after you hit 40 (Not that I am saying you are old or anything icon_wink.gif ) you could care less what people think of you...LOL..I was like you until I had kids and hit 40..now I could give a rats A$$ if people like me or not...Must be the age showing...HA!HA! thumbs_up.gif

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 4:51pm
post #10 of 11

You can't worry about that. I prefer to talk to people over the phone so I can make sure we're both on the same page. However, with a lot of people using social networks or used to responding via text or email. I can't. It's quicker for some just to pull up the email on their phone & respond & then keep going. yes thing get lost in translation... you are not going to be able to control every environment of the selling process. If she is still mad let her go some where else. You know where your heart is and what you meant and that is all that matters. And I'm sure your work speaks for itself. So if she goes and says something bad about you...the good things you've done will out shine that.

springlakecake Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 7:36pm
post #11 of 11

The thing is we hardly even exchanged that many emails! I was just trying to set up a consultation with her so that we could talk in person. I was trying to show her that I took her cake seriously and that it was important to me and that is why we should meet. I guess I wasnt very clear and she completely flipped. It is a good lesson for me to check my email carefully and try my best to communitcate. thanks for the advice icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%