What Would I Use As Separators In This Cake?

Decorating By CakesByStephanie Updated 1 Mar 2011 , 8:17pm by cakeandpartygirl

CakesByStephanie Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 1:20pm
post #1 of 5

I want to learn how to make a cake like this but I can't figure out if everyone is using just a smaller cake or something else. If it is not cake then what would you use that you could put dowel through to support the cake from tipping over?
*It won't let me add an attachment so here is the link to the picture
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scrumptiouscakes/4103834143/

4 replies
cakeandpartygirl Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 1:50pm
post #2 of 5

On the picture description it says that she use Styrofoam blocks. There are alot of places on the web that you can get them from. You could probably use the styrofoam from walmart, michaels, etc. because they aren't very thick

tracycakes Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 6:09pm
post #3 of 5

I use styrfoam, 1" or 2" depending on what the bride wants.

mcdonald Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 6:34pm
post #4 of 5

but how do you dowel these?? and how to do you keep it from tipping over?? I too want so much to make one but I can see it on the floor in a matter of minutes.... It scares me to try to sell this type of cake... anyone with a tutorial or would be willing to share "how to" would be APPRECIATED!!

cakeandpartygirl Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 8:17pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonald

but how do you dowel these?? and how to do you keep it from tipping over?? I too want so much to make one but I can see it on the floor in a matter of minutes.... It scares me to try to sell this type of cake... anyone with a tutorial or would be willing to share "how to" would be APPRECIATED!!

I know dowl as you would normally do and I am pretty sure a center dowel through the whole thing would add t othe stability.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%