Need To Vent About A Party Planner..long

Decorating By lovescakes Updated 1 Mar 2011 , 1:06pm by lovescakes

lovescakes Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 2:44am
post #1 of 7

today I got a call from a party planner that I met about 6 months ago when I went to deliver and set up a cake to an event, and this is how it went..
planner.. need you to come in to meet a client of mine that needs 2 cakes,one for a sweet 16th and for a 1st b-day.
me...well, I always meet clients in my store for consultations.
planner..oh but this lady is very very busy
me...aren't we all??
I ask when is this for, she said April 3rd so I quickly said that's around the corner and I'm very busy for March so maybe I can take a drive tomorrow about 1pm (I'm off on Tuesdays, big mistake on my part) and she said I'll call you back.
in the meantime I received 2 last minute order which means I have to make more icing etc.. when she called back I started telling her ...I'm sorry but I wont be able to drive out there (at least 25 minutes away)she interrupt me abruptly and said.. I can't believe you're not willing to take business I'm giving you and HANG UP on me!! I was in shock so I call her back and asked her..did you just hung up on me? silent, I told her I can't believe you did that! then she said.. well I can't believe you wont come meet my client and I said NOBODY does that, no cake decorator from a custom cake shop it's going to meet the client outside and she argues more so I just HANG UP ON HER! uff I can't believe I actually volunteer to drive out there, I need the business but not like this.
After wards I though she didn't even asked me if I was available or If I could go there, she just told me!

6 replies
tryingcake Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 3:19am
post #2 of 7

I have found a lot of planners to be this way. Before anyone bites me rear - not all... but a lot are!

mcaulir Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 3:32am
post #3 of 7

If you were shocked that she was rude enough to hang up on you, why would you return the 'favour'?

costumeczar Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 3:39am
post #4 of 7

There are a lot of so-called planners who are totally imcompetent and unprofessional. You seem to have found one. Count yourself lucky that you found out what dealing with her would be like so that you can avoid her.

I don't mess around with these types anymore...If I get an email from a planner who I've never heard of, chances are they're somebody who's brand new and has no experience, but they still want to boss me around and tell me how to run my business. I just got one today from someone who said that she wanted to send clients to meet with me on Tuesday and that she would bring the deposit by another time. I told her that I don't do tastings on Tuesdays, and also informed her that all payments and contracts go from me directly to and from the client, not through the planner. Not a surprise, she didn't email me back. As soon as some of them hear that you're not going to let them invoice the client (and mark the price up so that they can take a cut) they lose interest in using you.

If that planner calls you again, you should probably be busy. She's not going to get any easier to work with if her client did hire you.

lovescakes Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 12:44pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaulir

If you were shocked that she was rude enough to hang up on you, why would you return the 'favour'?

what do you mean why?? she kept arguing, so I let her have a taste of her own medicine, it was very upsetting.
and I don't want to argue with you either! Please..

costumeczar Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 12:57pm
post #6 of 7

It's one thing to have someone hang up on you because they don't like what you WON'T do to obey them (the planner hanging up) and another thing to hang up on someone to remove yourself from the path of someone's abuse (the baker hanging up.) I don't advocate hanging up on people, but I've been on the receiving end of crazy rants (usually from family memebrs, aren't they the worst for that) and I've hung up. Usually gave them a courtesy warning that it was going to happen if they didn't stop first, but hey, there's no reason to submit yourself to verbal abuse when a hang-up will end it so nicely.

lovescakes Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 1:06pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

It's one thing to have someone hang up on you because they don't like what you WON'T do to obey them (the planner hanging up) and another thing to hang up on someone to remove yourself from the path of someone's abuse (the baker hanging up.) I don't advocate hanging up on people, but I've been on the receiving end of crazy rants (usually from family memebrs, aren't they the worst for that) and I've hung up. Usually gave them a courtesy warning that it was going to happen if they didn't stop first, but hey, there's no reason to submit yourself to verbal abuse when a hang-up will end it so nicely.

THANK YOU! exactly what I meant!

My husband works in the banquet dep. of a 5 star hotel in NYC and he says that vendors come running to meet the hotel's clients only when they going to make top $$$ but that he has never ever seen a cake designer/decorator coming to the hotel. I mean I've never heard of that! and the woman also wanted me to bring tasting....now that's just crazy...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%