What Happened With Nutella And Buttercream?

Baking By llbesq Updated 5 Dec 2011 , 10:15pm by CiNoRi

llbesq Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 10:25pm
post #1 of 9

This weekend I was trying to make a hazelnut flavored filling to go with a dark chocolate cake. I thought I would add Nutella to my buttercream and make a fluffier Nutella filling for the cake. When I added Nutella to some of the buttercream (butter, Hi-Ratio shortening, ps, milk, vanilla) it became this dry, brown lumpy mess - a far cry from what I thought was going to happen. No way it would ever work as a filling. I ended up using straight Nutella for the cake (which was well received), but I was wondering if anyone has any idea as to why this happened. My buttercream is smooth and creamy and is not dry. I noticed on this site a couple of recipes for filling using Nutella in an all butter buttercream. Thoughts???

8 replies
Baker_Rose Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 9

I've never used Nutella, but when I have added creamy peanut butter the extra fat from the peanut butter did the same thing. The only way to get creamy peanut butter buttercream is to have a very soft buttercream because it will get thicker with the peanut butter, and if it sits for awhile it really gets thick and dry so you have to use it quickly.

icon_smile.gif

metria Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 5:39pm
post #3 of 9

i've added Nutella to IMBC with success. that is strange that american BC would do that! course i'm not going to complain about eating straight-up nutella icon_smile.gif

llbesq Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 3:22pm
post #4 of 9

Metria- The groom-to-be didn't complain about straight up Nutella either icon_smile.gif Baker_Rose - that's interesting that creamy peanut butter did the same thing. I have seen a couple of "Hazelnut Filling" recipes which use all butter with no shortening. That is consistent with your observation about the fat content and using very soft buttercream. The buttercream I used for the tasting was my buttercream recipe which uses a combination of butter and hi-ratio shortening. I am going to experiment with the all butter recipe for this filling and see what happens. Thanks for your comments!

mommynana Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 3:43pm
post #5 of 9

We were just talking about nutella on another post.I have used it in Indydebi`s buttercream with no problem, But I never used it stright up ( But i`m planning to) Could it be the high ratio ?

AngelFood4 Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 3:38am
post #6 of 9

I usually take some BC (1/4 cup or so) and add it to the nutella stirring it all up together then add that mixture to the rest of the BC. It blends in all together really well and not lumps.

Yum...love nutella!

CarrotJockey Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 3:55am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommynana

We were just talking about nutella on another post.I have used it in Indydebi`s buttercream with no problem, But I never used it stright up ( But i`m planning to) Could it be the high ratio ?

I've used Indydebi's buttercream mixed with Nutella with no problem as well. It was wonderful!

Paperfishies Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 7:02am
post #8 of 9

I've never had any problem with nutella or peanut butter in my buttercream recipes, not even after they've sat in the fridge for a few days.

If it's coming out very dry and crumbling, I would add a little more shortening and a little more liquid.

CiNoRi Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 10:15pm
post #9 of 9

For those of you who have added nutella to Indydebi's BC Did you cut down on some of the Shortening <and replaced that missing fat with the Nutella>? If so how much?

If not, how much did you add to her full recipe?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%