Make Black Icing That Tastes Good???

Baking By Alee81 Updated 2 Mar 2011 , 1:03am by Alee81

Alee81 Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 10:24pm
post #1 of 7

I made a mickey mouse cake for my son for his birthday and of course there was alot of black needed for mickey's head/ears. In order to get the deep black i needed i had to add alot of black coloring which in turn gave me the color i needed but the taste was not soo good?? Please help!

6 replies
cakecrazy333 Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 10:35pm
post #2 of 7

Hmmm well what I do for black is make chocolate frosting and then add the black... that way you don't have to add as much. I have also used precolored black icing for smaller jobs. It still doesn't taste GREAT but it doesn't taste quite as bad as white that has been dyed black.

icon_biggrin.gif Hope this helps!

Minstrelmiss Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 10:45pm
post #3 of 7

I also start with chocolate. In addition, black will develop over time. You may not need as much as you think.

platinumlady Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 11:18pm
post #4 of 7

When making black I first use Chocolate Butter cream which I add semi-sweet melted chocolate chips to the buttercream recipe. (some use unsweetened) That give it a brown color of course then I add a little bit of black coloring gel. It doesn't take that much to turn it black. I also use this when I need a large batch of red. Saves time & taste great with both colors.

cheatize Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 1:21am
post #5 of 7

If at all possible, start with chocolate icing; then add Americolor black (super black? can't remember if they have super black or just super red) but add just a touch of black. Americolor's are a lot more intense than the Wilton brand.

tryingcake Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 3:25am
post #6 of 7

I've heard a lot of people say this, but I've never experienced it. My black comes out very black, I use very little, I start with white icing (I hate chocolate) and I don't have any bitterness.

The brand coloring you use makes all the difference in the world.

Alee81 Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 1:03am
post #7 of 7

Thank you all for your help, I will try using chocolate icing!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%