Cake Painting

Decorating By cakecreation Updated 4 Mar 2011 , 9:26pm by susie1

cakecreation Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 10:20pm
post #1 of 23

Can anyone explain how to paint a tattoo design on fondant cakes?

22 replies
Noura80 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 4:05am
post #2 of 23

I would like to know too. I know that you can mix spirits like vodka with petal dusts or luster dust and use that to paint. Are there any alternatives as I can't use alcohol.

Thanx

motherofgrace Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 4:16am
post #3 of 23

clear vanilla, or lemon juice

Daisy1 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 4:31am
post #4 of 23

Vanilla and lemon extract have alcohol in them. That's why they dry so fast. Can you draw with food writer pens instead? It might not work as well but you should be able to get something that is Kosher.

motherofgrace Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 4:38am
post #5 of 23

i said lemon juice lol icon_wink.gif

Crazboutcakes Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 4:40am
post #6 of 23

Anytime that I need to write on fondant I will take a little vanilla extract or lemon (depends on what favor cake and BC or ganash I am using) and and put some color gels with it and use a good paint brush so you don't leave bristels and go to town. that is just my opinion. HTH

Noura80 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 5:24am
post #7 of 23

Thank you all for your help.

krisindaa Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 7:29am
post #8 of 23

good topic! how do u get the design on straight- from one tier to the next? say if I am drawing a gerber daisy or rose, I am not much of an artist-esp freehand. Is there a pattern for this?

madgeowens Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 7:49am
post #9 of 23

I saw Mary on cake girls take a pic and place parchment over top and take a needle and punch holes all around the pic design so that when you place the parchment over the fondant?gp you can paint over the holes and then remove carefully and go back and finish handpainting it, I cant paint for anything and if you look at my Michael Jackson cake, the photo of him, this is how I did it! HTH
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1952937/1952951

sarascakecreations Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 3:01pm
post #10 of 23

Hello,

I made this cake for a tattoo enthusiat friend's birthday and I painted using petal dust and vodka... worked out great and really allowed me to mix colors very well. She loved it!

Here's a link to my facebook page (there are 2 pictures) hopefully it works.

If not than check out my pictures on here, it's there.

S.

Crazboutcakes Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 5:49pm
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

I saw Mary on cake girls take a pic and place parchment over top and take a needle and punch holes all around the pic design so that when you place the parchment over the fondant?gp you can paint over the holes and then remove carefully and go back and finish handpainting it, I cant paint for anything and if you look at my Michael Jackson cake, the photo of him, this is how I did it! HTH
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1952937/1952951




I have also done this technique, it depends on what is more comfortable for you. I usually free hand and going from one tier to the other, it is usually stacked first, but more than three layers I you would have to do a little work onsite in order to make lines meet up. HTH

TexasSugar Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 6:56pm
post #14 of 23

You can paint with airbrush colors, already thinned down, ready to use.

Noura80 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 7:48am
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

You can paint with airbrush colors, already thinned down, ready to use.




may i ask how you thin it down?

madgeowens Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 8:42am
post #16 of 23

airbrush colors are already thinnned down, but if you want to further thin it use vodka...I dont find it necessary to thin it more however

imagenthatnj Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 1:08pm
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noura80

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

You can paint with airbrush colors, already thinned down, ready to use.



may i ask how you thin it down?




I think TexasSugar means that the airbrush colors are already thinned down and you don't have to do anything, they're ready to use.

Crazboutcakes Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 3:10pm
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

Two more ways to transfer a pattern to your cake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqbDTaauGO0&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRLjml6TvQ8&feature=relmfu




I know that I had seen somene on a tutorial somewhere that also used a hot glue gun to out line a picture and than once it was out lined, pressed image into the butter cream. It looked simple enough but have never tried it, and am really not sure weather how food safe it is either, usless you'd put suran wrap onto cake first and than press image onto cake, I would feel better about that!

imagenthatnj Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 3:30pm
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazboutcakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

Two more ways to transfer a pattern to your cake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqbDTaauGO0&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRLjml6TvQ8&feature=relmfu



I know that I had seen somene on a tutorial somewhere that also used a hot glue gun to out line a picture and than once it was out lined, pressed image into the butter cream. It looked simple enough but have never tried it, and am really not sure weather how food safe it is either, usless you'd put suran wrap onto cake first and than press image onto cake, I would feel better about that!




That's kind of crazy. I wonder why you would do that when there's royal icing? It dries as hard as the glue I'm sure. I haven't heard of many glues that are non-toxic. Sometimes I worry what has been done to the cakes I eat that I haven't made at home!

stephaniescakenj Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 3:44pm
post #20 of 23

you can paint with straight gel colors too. you have to a add a little white to it to make it opaque unless you're using black. No need to thin it either

Crazboutcakes Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 8:09pm
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazboutcakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

Two more ways to transfer a pattern to your cake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqbDTaauGO0&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRLjml6TvQ8&feature=relmfu



I know that I had seen somene on a tutorial somewhere that also used a hot glue gun to out line a picture and than once it was out lined, pressed image into the butter cream. It looked simple enough but have never tried it, and am really not sure weather how food safe it is either, usless you'd put suran wrap onto cake first and than press image onto cake, I would feel better about that!



That's kind of crazy. I wonder why you would do that when there's royal icing? It dries as hard as the glue I'm sure. I haven't heard of many glues that are non-toxic. Sometimes I worry what has been done to the cakes I eat that I haven't made at home!





I thought so too, never did ask about it so maybe that's the reason never tried it just didn't seem right!

motherofgrace Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 8:50pm
post #22 of 23

royal icing would be too brittle to press

susie1 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 9:26pm
post #23 of 23

WOW! Thank you for those youtube links. Something new to try and I'm so excited.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%