Dowel And Base Questions

Decorating By tsal Updated 28 Feb 2011 , 10:26pm by dukeswalker

tsal Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 3

Hi,

I'm totally nervous about the cake I'm making for this weekend. It's 5-tiers which is the biggest cake I have ever made. I have never put a center dowel through my cakes before, but I will need to for this. The Wilton dowels are only 12" long and I need one that is at least 20" long. I called the caker that supplies my fondant and asked her if she could sell me one long wooden dowel but she said 'no' and told me to go to my local hardware store to purchase one. Is that where you all purchase your center dowels? How can I be sure that the wood hasn't been treated?

I realize that many of you use the SPS system, but I don't plan on making anymore 5-tier cakes in the future (I'm not in business), so I don't want to invest in the system, and there's no time since the party is this weekend.

Also, this cake is going to be SUPER heavy. I plan on buying a cake drum into which I will nail the wooden center dowel. Should I hot-glue gun that drum to some plywood? I'm not sure what to do.

Any help would be most appreciated!

2 replies
KoryAK Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 10:19pm
post #2 of 3

Bottom line, you can't be sure that long, hardware store dowel wasn't treated with chemicals or dropped on the floor or handled by 100 customers who had no thought of it ever going into food. For large cakes like this, I do use the Wilton food-grade dowels like this: stack 3 tiers, hammer one dowel to the left of center -- add another tier, hammer one dowel to the right of center -- add top tier, hammer one dowel to the top of center. It's plenty to keep the cake together icon_smile.gif

dukeswalker Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 10:26pm
post #3 of 3

The SPS really isn't a huge investment, especially if you can buy it locally and avoid shipping charges...It is SUCH an ease on the mind to use it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%