No I Do Not Mill My Own Flour...but

Business By Cascades Updated 1 Mar 2011 , 4:00pm by lilmissbakesalot

Cascades Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 6:04pm
post #1 of 8

I do make my own fondant. I know I must be crazy but I make my own mmf and I love it. I have a large commercial 20 quart mixer and I can make two batches at a time quite fast with my dough hook. This weekend I thought I would do a large cake with Satin Ice. I have worked with it in the past, and every time I always end up saying I like working with my mmf fondant better. I realy like the consistency and look I get with it.

My question to you my fellow cake business friends: Is there anybody out there that makes mmf in bulk? And if you do, how do you store it to keep it fresh. I would really love to make a ton of it in advance, but am afraid of how it will keep.

7 replies
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 8

We make all our own fondant too! MMF works great for us. We just started using the dough hook on the KA this past weekend and love it! I'm not sure about the answer to your question, I know fondant keeps for a while, but not sure about larger quantities.

lilmissbakesalot Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 6:39pm
post #3 of 8

I used to make my own fondant, but I use way too much of it to devote the time anymore. I cover all of my cakes with fondant so my poor KA would run away from home if I asked it to make enough fondant to keep up with the demand.

It should keep for at least a few months though if you wrap it well and store it in a cool place. Not chill it, but just not a warm place.

elliespartycake Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 8:30pm
post #4 of 8

I too make my own MMF and I love it. I make multiple batches at the same time; wrap each batch twice in plastic wrap, place in tightly sealed plastic bags and store in my extra refrigerator. When I need it, I allow it to come to room temp (or help it along with the microwave) and viola! Works great.

cake_architect Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 8:48pm
post #5 of 8

i use my food saver on my mmf and it works really well! if you're making a very large batch, you could always break it up into 2lb incriments and seal each separately, that way you don't have to let air get to the large batch each time you need some =D hth!

elliespartycake Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 9:44pm
post #6 of 8

Cake_architect, great tip! Thanks

scp1127 Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 8:57am
post #7 of 8

I buy my fondant, but I, too, keep it fresh in the foodsaver. That machine keeps paying for itself... opened nuts, marshmallows, Oreos, coconut, dates... any expensive ingredient.

lilmissbakesalot Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 4:00pm
post #8 of 8

I love my foodsaver too, but I use my little hand held reynolds vacuum for keeping little bits of fondant fresh. It is easier to use for me since I don't have the foodsaver out on the counter and you don't have to cut the bags.

Quote by @%username% on %date%