Edible Glitter On Dark Fondant...

Decorating By paula0712 Updated 5 Mar 2011 , 4:24am by bakingkat

paula0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula0712 Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 6:04pm
post #1 of 12

Ok, I am doing a wedding cake and the bride just asked me if I could use edible glitter on her chocolate brown fondant cake. I have never used it before and I'm just wondering if a)it will even show up and b)how do I get it on the sides of the cake. I've tried searching and the error code keeps coming up. If anyone has done this can you send me a pic? Thank you!

PS - I took a small piece of fondant and tried painting the glitter on with a small brush and it just falls off... tried wetting the fondant first and it turns the glitter into a big yucky gob of it...

11 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 12

I've had some luck getting the edible glitter to stick using a thin coat of crisco or spraying the fondant with some high alcohol content clear drinking alcohol (I use EverClear, but I'd think white rum, gin, or vodka would be OK, too).

With the alcohol, when it dries, some of the extra edible glitter will fall off, but a good coating remains.

I think the only way to get it onto vertical surfaces is to throw it or pat it onto the surface. You could also put some in your hand and use a small bulb syringe (the blue kind you use for babies' ears works well) to blow it onto the cake.

Kudos for using edible glitter and not INEDIBLE disco dust!!

HTH
Rae

paula0712 Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 10:01pm
post #3 of 12

thanks Rae! Now I have another question... what color do I use? lol

BlakesCakes Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 10:09pm
post #4 of 12

Well, if you want to just make it sparkle (and not add any color), I'd think that brown would be nice. You could use any of the colors, depending on the effect you want.

I grind it finer thru a tea strainer using the wooden handle of my offset spatula. That way, you don't see large, distinct flakes.

I'd definitely experiment first.

This is a nice chart of colors--and I've used the company for cookie cutters--very good.

http://www.coppergifts.com/cookie-cutters/pc/Edible-Glitter-p1858.htm

HTH
Rae

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 10:28pm
post #5 of 12

You should check with your Bride to be sure what she means, by glitter. She could mean the edible glitter( flake stuff) which isn't very pretty, but more likely means disco dust which is very pretty.

And once that is determined give her the color choices.

Spraying on vodka with an air brush and then dipping a dry paint brush with loose bristles into the glitter and tapping towards the cake it like a person who smokes cigarettes does will help apply it in a fine mist. You can also turn a fan on low and let that help you out.

BlakesCakes Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 10:39pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

You should check with your Bride to be sure what she means, by glitter. She could mean the edible glitter( flake stuff) which isn't very pretty, but more likely means disco dust...

I've used the edible glitter, finely ground, and it's lovely--a soft but visible glitter that catches the light.

If she means disco dust, then it should be used only on deco items that will NOT be eaten--certainly not all over the sides & tops of fondant covered cake tiers (unless, god forbid, all of the fondant will be peeled off before the cake is served).

If she insists on disco dust, then it's important that she be fully informed about what it is: It's fine particle PLASTIC CRAFT GLITTER that, although non-toxic, IS NOT EDIBLE. I, personally, refuse to use it on edibles because I don't want to put the word "plastic" on my list of ingredients.

Rae

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 11:01pm
post #7 of 12

I have some edible glitter and it looks like little bits of colored plastic wrap and it's not that shiny. Maybe they've improved how it looks since I bought some?

BlakesCakes Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 3:38am
post #8 of 12

You know, I'd love to tell you that edible glitter is just as sparkly as disco dust. It's not, but that's not the point. It's also not plastic.

As I said, if you finely grind it, it's definitely a shiny dust. It's basically dried gum arabic.

Want to up the sparkle & shine? Mix it with some super fine sugar and/or some Crystal Colors FDA approved Platinum Dust. Still edible. Still, not plastic.

Rae

Daisy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisy1 Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 5:27am
post #9 of 12

Lightly paint the fondant with piping gel then pat the glitter against it and it will stick. I used this method for the Christmas wedding cake in my pictures and it turned out great. Be warned, it takes a lot of glitter to cover a wedding cake.

paula0712 Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 2:22pm
post #10 of 12

She wants the entire cake (tops and sides) covered. I'm trying to convince her that because it's not edible, she'd be better off getting a very pretty cake brooch that gathers the ribbon in the center of each cake. It's just a two tier (6" and 10" square). I really don't want to do the glitter cake either though... lol

BlakesCakes Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 4:30pm
post #11 of 12

Well, another alternative is just sanding sugar. That's really what you see on a lot of all-over-sparkle cakes.

You can tint it brown by putting some gel/paste brown color in a ziploc bag along with the sanding sugar and rubbing it around. Crunchy, but very sparkly, and edible.

HTH
Rae

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 4:24am
post #12 of 12

If you don't need big glitter you can just take super pearl or whatever shimmer color dust you want and put it in a reusable aerosol bottle with vodka, then spray it all over the cake. I don't know brand names or anything, but what I have is a little glass bottle that attaches to an aerosol spray bottle. You fill the bottle with the alcohol and pearl then attach the spray bottle. It works great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%