Is This So? Margarine Vs Butter

Lounge By GeorgiaC Updated 7 Mar 2011 , 4:25pm by KathysCC

GeorgiaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeorgiaC Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 5:44pm
post #1 of 12

This is one of those forwarded emails that I usually take with a grain of salt as far as truth. What's your take on it?

DO YOU KNOW the difference between margarine and butter?

Both have the same amount of calories.
Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams; compared to 5 grams for margarine.
Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter.
Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.
Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few and only because they are added!
Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavors of other foods.

And now, for Margarine..
Very High in Trans fatty acids.
Triples risk of coronary heart disease.
Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)
Increases the risk of cancers up to five times..
Lowers quality of breast milk.
Decreases immune response.
Decreases insulin response.

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC and shares 27 ingredients with PAINT

You can try this yourself: Purchase a tub of margarine and leave it open in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will notice a couple of things:

No flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)

It does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow. Why? Because it is nearly plastic.

11 replies
artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 6:01pm
post #2 of 12

Anytime I get an email claiming something I check it out at Snopes.com They are the standard in checking the validity of these viral emails that go around.

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/butter.asp

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 6:18pm
post #3 of 12

Yeah..I have read this somewhere..I don't use margarine in anything anyways.Just butter...Like it best melted on popcorn..Yum!

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 6:53pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

Anytime I get an email claiming something I check it out at Snopes.com They are the standard in checking the validity of these viral emails that go around.

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/butter.asp

thumbs_up.gif

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 7:14pm
post #5 of 12

Like they say here in Gaaawwgggaaa....Butta is always Betta! Lol!

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 7:17pm
post #6 of 12

I don't think either are that great, healthwise. icon_smile.gif

Honestly, I really hate the taste and greasy feel of real butter. I only use it to get a good texture in cookies. I cannot stand eating bread, noodles, or potatoes with real butter on them. Yuck! That may be because I grew up eating margarine, though. icon_smile.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 9:14am
post #7 of 12

True story... I moved into my husband's house in 2007. That night, my daughter wanted to make a chocolate chip cookie in a cake pan. We mixed the batter, put it in the pan, and, as usual, I had to lick the beater. It had the worst taste of "bad refrigerator". I looked on HIS box of Land o Lakes butter and it read 1999!!!! I didn't get sick, but that is one experience I will never forget. When they say, "pasteurized", they mean it.

LaurenLuLu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurenLuLu Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 3:39pm
post #8 of 12

1999?? Really?? OMG! I can't figure out how to make a pound of butter last more than a week in our house, LOVE the stuff. In fact, eat crackers with butter not for the cracker but as a medium to hold it. Sick, I know.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 3:42pm
post #9 of 12

Butter in any form is never going to be "GOOD" for you, but yes, your body is going to be able to digest a natural form of butter better than a man-made form of butter. Even my husband's doctor stated that he preferred that if my husband "HAD" to have butter he preferred that he eat real butter instead of margarine. He did say to try to cut it out as much as possible though.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 4:34pm
post #10 of 12

Butter is not bad for you. Overindulging is bad for you. Your body needs fat. If you don't eat fat, your body will hoard it and burn muscle.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 10:54pm
post #11 of 12

"one molecule away"......

Come on people .... the chemical composition of the human body is 18% carbon and 75% water (65% Oxygen & 10% Hydrogen, i.e. H20). That means you could take handful of ash and water and create a person?? I dont' think so.

Plus .... I heard this phrase when I was a little little kid, over 4 decades ago. Technology and food production has changed over these past 40 years to improve our foods (this is a debateable point, I know, but I'm making it as an "in general" statement).

So I also tend to ignore statements that were made based on the technology of 40+ years ago.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%