Modeling Chocolate, Gumpaste, Or Fondant W/tylose

Decorating By platinumlady Updated 1 Mar 2011 , 8:21am by platinumlady

platinumlady Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 5:15pm
post #1 of 5

As I have mentioned before I am starting to get serious about cake decorating & want to step up my skills

I am watching some videos to learn more & there are items that come up on a regular basis & want to get an opinion of what works best for you all that have more experience than I do.

Right now I use Fondant. It works ok but when I use a small piece of fondant to color it I've found that it stretches a little bit too much & I have a hard time sculpting figurines and such.

What do you use:
Modeling chocolate
Fondant w/ tylose
or a combination of ingredients

And if you don't mind what brands work best for you with these items.

I am a WMI so I can get those products at a discounted rate. The products work great for class but would really like to know what's best for the customers and over all look of cake. TIA

4 replies
Cupcations Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 5:38pm
post #2 of 5

lol I asked the same question a week ago & got no replies, good luck with yours thumbs_up.gif , Ill be watching

platinumlady Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 3:01am
post #3 of 5

Is there anyone that can help me with this? I am getting ready to place an order for supplies & really need the help.

Thanks in Advance

icer101 Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 3:20am
post #4 of 5

Hi, didn,t see this last week . I am a wmi also. When i make figurines, i add tylose to fondant or mix fondant and gumpaste. (Wilton) this makes the figures not sag as they do , just using fondant. Using g/p alone , make working with figures harder to work with. Most decorators do this) You can also use this mixture to make flowers also. But i usualy make nick lodges g/p recipe for my flowers or use wilotn g/p just as is. I do like premade wilton g/p, not the one from the can you make. I have never used tylose in modeling chocolate, but i have seen on this site , some do. you can mix modeling chocolate with fondant,( makes good tasting flowers) not just small ones, also larger ones. i have seen on this site, some mix modeling chocolate with g/p. I just never have. Most people use wilton to make these figures and to cover their boards. you are mostly not eating these figures(dries hard) some people try. lol!! anyway , this is my experience with all of this. I use pastiallage , when i make standing people ,etc. hth

platinumlady Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 8:21am
post #5 of 5

Thank you icer101 good info makes sense

Quote by @%username% on %date%