Would You Bother With Imbc/smbc If Covering With Fondant?

Decorating By lrlt2000 Updated 2 Mar 2011 , 9:31pm by FromScratchSF

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 7:29pm
post #31 of 50

Since you all have a better estimation sense for these things, how much would you estimate I need to fill/crumb/fondant a topsy turvy using 4", 6" and 9" rounds (each tier being 3 layers and 4" finished height)?

breyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
breyes Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 9:19pm
post #32 of 50

Well I am going to have to give SMBC another chance after reading some of these recipes. When I was making it, I couldn't belive that I was using 3lbs. of butter!!! There were a lot of great tips thrown out there and I will look for a butter that is more "pure" since that effects the BC. Thanks everyone so much for your tips and recipes.

Nellical Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nellical Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 10:14pm
post #33 of 50

I make IMBC only. I make enough at one time to fill a 20 qt mixing bowl so SMBC is not an option, plus I would rather pour hot sugar syrup into a bowl while the mixer is doing the work than to hold a mixer over the stove, or worse, hand whisk.

My recipe, for a small batch of 2 quarts, is:

8 ounces of egg whites at room temp, in a 5 qt. KA mixing bowl
pinch of salt

In saucepan mix together:

1 pound granulated sugar (extra-fine) about 2 cups
5 ounces water
Start the heat at about medium-high. Wash down the sides of the pan with a pastry brush dipped in water. This step is crucial to not having the sugar crystalize, which ruins it. Do NOT stir or get any sugar crystals into it once you've washed the sides.
Cook until it reaches 240. Get a holder for your thermometer and let it sit on the side of the pan but do not let the tip touch the bottom. If you have to remove the thermometer and then put it back in the sugar later to test the temp, clean it with water and a clean paper towel so that you don't put hardened crystals in the hot syrup. This takes practice but gets really easy in time.

When it gets to about 238, start whipping your egg whites until they get shiny and firm but not crumbly looking. Although, it will still work.
The egg whites and the sugar should reach their goals at about the same time. If the sugar gets to temp first, lower the heat to low. It will be ok even if it goes to 245.

With the mixer still running at medium-high, very slowly start pouring the syrup down the side of the mixing bowl. Do not let it get caught in the wire whip or you will have crunchies in the frosting. After you get about half of the syrup poured in you can go a little faster. The goal is to start slow to temper the eggs, get them used to the hot syrup without making scrambled eggs.
Once you have poured all of the syrup in, keep whipping for about 10 minutes to cool the meringue. It will get really shiny and have a marshmallow texture.
Feel the bottom of the mixing bowl, if it is warm to the touch, it is too soon for the butter. It has to be as close to room temp as you can get. Patience.
Once it is cooled down, with the mixer at medium speed add

1 pound of unsalted butter, cut into about 16 pieces.

Mix well after each addition. Once all butter is in, beat well at medium-high speed until fluffy.

Add:
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or other flavoring

Beat well to incorporate .

You can add 4 ounces cooled melted white chocolate to the BC with the vanilla. I use Merckens super white. It does not add a strong white chocolate flavor if the client doesn't want it but helps to add firness to the structure. Got this from a Ron Ben-Israel. recipe. But I don't always add the chocolate.

I like to chill it at this point, but then I make it at the beginning of the week when we are making all of our cake components. When I am getting ready to fill and frost, I take the IMBC out of the fridge first thing in the morning to come to room temp. You can mixe fruit purees with it or Lorann flavorings.

I use it to fill and to put a nice thick layer under fondant. The consistency is like whipped cream when at room temp. It gets sweeter after a day. If it looks separated, toss it in the mixer and whip it up again and it will be fine.

Don't worry about the generic butter. It will be fine. I use only Plugra in the bakery but used to use the generic butter we got at GFS. Plugra makes it that much better but most people can't tell the difference.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 2:27am
post #34 of 50

Due to overwhelming requests for my cream cheese version, I made a thread!

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-7067976.html#7067976

Good luck!

Jen

lrlt2000 Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 3:45pm
post #35 of 50

Jen,

WAHHHHHH!!!!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I TOTALLY messed up by first batch. I thought this would be no problem at all! I whipped until the peaks were firm (so firm, I thought maybe it wouldn't work!) I *think* my butter was still too cool. Anyway, my question is, even if my butter is warm enough, doesn't mixing on a low setting for a long period mix all of the air out of the meringue? Do I ever pick back up to whip, after the butter is incorporated??

ThreeLittleBlackbirds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeLittleBlackbirds Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 4:32pm
post #36 of 50

I know you're asking Jen, but I'll tell you how I do it and then when she has the time I'm sure she'll offer her help too.

After the egg whites and sugar are ready (160 degrees). Whip on KA setting 8 or 10 (high) for exactly 10 minutes. Set a timer. After 10 min, check to make sure the bottom of the bowl is room temp. Turn off the mixer, knock as much of the meringue off the whisk attachment as possible and switch to the paddle attachment. Start adding the butter a small cube at a time. I like my butter soft but still cool. For me, if the butter is completely room temp, I end up having to put the buttercream into the fridge for about 20 min and then beat again to get it to stabillize. Keep in mind, that this will still work with cold or cool butter, it just takes longer.

I add the butter on low, and then once its all added I up my mixer to med low. Once it becomes fluffy and stable, I add my vanilla and then up to medium for about 1 minute. Then turn back to low again to get any tiny air bubbles out and /or add any other flavorings.

Just keep practicing...you'll get it!

ThreeLittleBlackbirds Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 4:37pm
post #37 of 50

and one more thing....

Even if you think you've messed it up, don't throw it out! My guess its you think it was messed up because it was soupy and curdled looking? If that happens again, just put the whole bowl and the paddle attachment into the fridge for about 20 -25 minutes. Then, rewhip with the paddle on med low speed until it gets fluffy and thick. Keep in mind you may need to whip it for a good 10-15 minutes. A lot of people just don't let it whip long enough and think its ruined but its really not!

icon_smile.gif

lrlt2000 Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 5:09pm
post #38 of 50

Thanks icon_rolleyes.gif

I actually switched to the IMBC recipe. It's the same thing happening icon_sad.gif

It's curdling and the volume went way down after I added the butter. Do I mix on low first then whip? What do I look for before I switch from low to whip???

lrlt2000 Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 5:14pm
post #39 of 50

HAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's one of those "YOU'LL KNOW IT WHEN YOU SEE IT"!!!!!!!!! It came back together on low!

Okay, now what? Do I whip it to pump up the volume?? How do I add things like jams? Will that make it soupy??

lrlt2000 Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 5:17pm
post #40 of 50

Also, I can see maybe using this to crumb coat and ice the outside of a cake--but I **cannot** see this holding up layers of cakes. How do I get it stiff and thick like ABC?? It's pretty, but doesn't look like it would get hard between layers.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 5:44pm
post #42 of 50

Hmmmm, thanks! I will try!

cupcake_cutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake_cutie Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 5:59pm
post #43 of 50

I've been wanting to try SMBC for so long, but was intimidated because it seemed difficult. I will be definitely trying it now. Thanks everyone for the great tips!

ThreeLittleBlackbirds Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 6:04pm
post #44 of 50

it doesnt get "hard" but believe me its stable. I always fill, stack, and then stick in the fridge for 20 min or so until firm and stiff before carving and ganaching (or buttercreaming) for crumb coat.

once the buttercream is fluffy and stable, you can add jam, slowly on low speed. I use seedless natural jam that has no additional sugar in it as jam can make your buttercream really really sweet. For better results, make a fruit syrup, using fresh or frozen fruit cooked with a little lemon juice and sugar until reduced and thick and syrup-y. Make sure whatever you add to the buttercream is cool or you will melt it.

Nellical Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nellical Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 6:36pm
post #45 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrlt2000

Also, I can see maybe using this to crumb coat and ice the outside of a cake--but I **cannot** see this holding up layers of cakes. How do I get it stiff and thick like ABC?? It's pretty, but doesn't look like it would get hard between layers.

You don't want it to get hard or crusty like ABC. This is taking your caking up to gourmet level, especially if you are making cakes from scratch and remember to use non-aluminum baking powder, the flavor is different. And keep in mind that IMBC or SMBC will not work for BC flowers; too soft, they will wilt.

Chilling it will make it hard...it's butter. I was dubious about it at first until I just jumped in and started using it. If you are covering it with fondant, you need to roll the fondant out to less that an eight of an inch but thicker than a sixteenth. Ron Ben-Israel goes a sixteenth. When I learned that he uses this exclusively in his cakes, I knew it had to work for me too. I never use ABC, HATE the stuff. We never make BC flowers, only gumpaste flowers and all of our cakes are covered in fondant over a thick layer of IMBC.

Once it is crumbcoated and frosted, we chill them overnight before putting fondant on them. Chill first, then wrap in plastic wrap for overnight storage.

Back to the IMBC or SMBC, if it ever looks curdly, just whip it up again. I rarely use low speed for this since my 20 qt mixer only has 3 speeds. If you have to, you can crank it up to medium high. This stuff is not that fragile.

If you want to fill that cake but not sure of the BC supporting the layers, try torting the layers. Just keep in mind you will need twice as much BC. Spread a layer of BC then chill for about 5 minutes before adding the next layer of cake. Or just chill between layers without torting. Once you get your dowels or fat straws in, they will support the upper tiers. You cut them to the proper height and the cake underneath is not the substructure, only the "legs of the table" so to speak.

Alright, just made 3 gallons of the stuff myself and need to get back to work.

Nel

lrlt2000 Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 6:53pm
post #46 of 50

♫♪♪♩♬ I'm a believahhh!!!! ♫♪♪♩♬

WOW!!!! I'm AMAZED! This stuff is DECEIVINGLY dainty! Here's a pic of my top two Topsy Turvy tiers. . .

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 6:56pm
post #47 of 50

Yum!!!

lrlt2000 Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 6:57pm
post #48 of 50

Thank you all for your support and advice!!! I will say, it does taste a bit buttery for my liking. I did add powdered sugar (according to a recipe for SMBC I found here on CC) and it tastes better. Also, once I added my raspberry jam, it tasted even better!

lrlt2000 Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 6:58pm
post #49 of 50

(Gotta' love the container of prunes in the background LMBO!!!!! I am 36 years old icon_lol.gif ).

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 9:31pm
post #50 of 50

I'm back - sorry!!!

Disclaimer â I am not a trained food scientist nor did I go to school for this, I read a lot and really got into the whys of how stuff works. So this is my theory of the science based on making mayo and hollandaise sauce. And Iâm a total geek.

Essentially we are working with 4 ingredients - eggs, sugar, butter and a pinch of salt. But you really have 5 - water. Remember, you are creating an emulsion, so without realizing it you are doing chemistry when making this. First you are binding the protein molecules (eggs) with the sugar molecules when cooking over the stove (salt enhances flavor and also helps this binding process). This is why you are cooking to melt the sugar, not just tossing eggs and sugar in a bowl. If you look at old cookbooks they say cook to 140 degrees because thatâs the temperature all the sugar should have melted and bonded with the egg. But we now go up to 160 degrees to kill any possible bacteria. Then, you are whipping air into the mix which stabilizes and adds volume. But now you are adding butter, which if you use normal quality, is 80% fat and 20% water. On the molecular level, fat bonds with the sugar/protein FIRST (which is the chunks you see), leaving the water from the butter the LAST to bond. So, it looks like it's breaking the meringue but it's not. Itâs science doing its thing. So besides tasting better, it is another reason I go with high quality butter (at 83% butterfat) so I have less water to bond, and if Iâm feeling like splurging I go with a European style butter like Plugera, which is 85% butterfat.

For optimum volume and flavor (meaning, getting the most quantity out of your SMBC) keep your mixer on low, you can whip it faster, and as I said it will come together, but thatâs when you actually do break the meringue (which is the chunks, not the soupy part you see), your volume will decrease and you will loose the flavor distribution (hence âgobs of sweet butterâ flavor).

Yes, you can pipe roses with this, it holds a very crisp edge. Itâs just harder to do because butter has a low melting point so your hands melt your bag pretty fast. I have 2 piping bags going and rotate often to keep them cold (by popping one in the freezer while I work with the other). I also have been working on piping on a stick rather then a nail and got it figured out â I can go bud-3-5 but if I add 7 it is too heavy and falls off the stick.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%