Fondant Top With Scalloped Edge

Decorating By EvArt Updated 1 Mar 2011 , 5:02am by EvArt

EvArt Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 6

I have a baby shower cake coming up shortly and I want to top two layers with a pink "crown" that only comes a short way over the top of the cake and then I want it to have a scalloped edge going around the side. Under that edge, one layer will have fondant stripes, and the other will have fondant circles. The stripes and circles will come right up to the edges of the scalloped edges. Kind of like a table cloth on a round table.

But I'm not quite sure how to go about cutting the fondant in the scalloped edges that I want. Do I lay the fondant on and then cut the scalloped edges?? Or do I cut the round and scallops before laying it on the tiers?? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

5 replies
Lcubed82 Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 4:09pm
post #2 of 6

I would cut the round and scallop, then place over the cake. You could support the scallops with cotton or paper towel balls to make the edge 3D.
For a flat edge, you could cut a scalloped border, then apply it to the top edge of the cake.

bakingpw Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 6

Using parchment paper draw a line around a larger pan than the one you are using - ex. if you are using an 8" pan for the cake and want the scallop to go partially over the sides, you might use a 10" or 12" pan to draw your circle. Now, after cutting out the circle, fold in half and keep repeating the fold in half until you get the size you want and cut the edges in a semi circle. Unfold and you have the template. Roll the fondant and cut around the template and then apply to top of cake. I've done it many times and it's really a simple step for an amazing look!

cakeyouverymuch Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 4:13pm
post #4 of 6

Do you mean that you want the top edge to look something like this ( http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1923368 ) but with a scallop at the bottom instead of another layer?

What I did here was roll out the fondant, cut a strip that would fit around the cake, used a cutter to finish the top edge, then I painted the surface of the fondant with water and unrolled the strip and pressed it into place. If this is what you mean, you would have to finish both the top and bottom edges in the design of your choosing before rolling it up and gluing it into place. HTH, if not it would help if you had a photo of the effect you are trying to achieve.

weirkd Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 5:16pm
post #5 of 6

I believe she is talking about where it has a an actual top piece of fondant that drapes over the edge of the cake and is scalloped. A lot of times they will use a different color fondant.
The best way I have found is to do like baking pw said and make a template and cut it out. You should put tylose in the fondant first so that it holds its shape better. You will also have to be careful when you smooth it out, not to distort the circle too much. Smooth the center first and then carefully fold the edges down. You should use a little water on it to get it to stick down.

EvArt Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 5:02am
post #6 of 6

Thank you very much ladies. Sounds like the template idea is exactly what I need. I do want the solid piece that lays over the edge. I've just not done something like that yet and didn't know exactly where to start.

Thank you so much for your input!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%